This forum is for posting about topics that dont fit easily into the other categories. Including data management, programming, tips, tricks, general help, suggestions about R Ornithology, upcoming meetings, or sharing projects
This forum is for posting about package specific questions that dont fit into graphing or mapping topics (ex: tidyr, RMark, R2jags). Feel to start threads on broad topics like 'dplyr' or RMark' and nest questions with in that thread.
1. You could try increasing the distance they are allowed to fly. The maximum distance can be fixed in particle.filter and the mean and sd in make.prerun.object.
2. Try running first without any spatial constrains. It sometimes happen that particle filter just cannot find a proper solution if bir migrated to far every day for a long period.
Hope this helps,
I'm using FLightR 0.4.9 to track migration of shorebirds. Tags were deployed in Alaska and recovered at the same site a year later. FLightR gives me nice-looking tracks for the breeding season in Alaska, fall migration to Chile, and the non-breeding season in Chile. But the track for spring migration is consistently problematic -- instead of returning north to Alaska, it heads south toward Antarctica.
Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas for what I can do?
Calibration periods are from the study site (lon = -150.725, lat = 61.272): one from the beginning of the study (shortly after tag deployment) and another from the end (shortly before tag recovery). Both verified by plot_slopes_by_location.
> Calibration.periods <- data.frame(calibration.start=as.POSIXct(c("2009-05-17", "2010-05-10")),
calibration.stop=as.POSIXct(c("2009-06-15", NA)),lon=-150.725, lat=61.272)
calibration.start calibration.stop lon lat
1 2009-05-17 2009-06-15 -150.725 61.272
2 2010-05-10 <NA> -150.725 61.272
Calibrating from pre-deployment data instead yields similar results. For the particle filter run I've tried known.last=TRUE and known.last=FALSE. Changing behavioral masks, outlier check, nParticles, etc. also do not seem to help.
> all.in <- make.prerun.object(Proc.data, Grid, start=c(-150.725, 61.272), Calibration=Calibration)
> Result <- run.particle.filter(all.in, threads=-1, nParticles=nParticles, known.last=TRUE, check.outliers=TRUE)
Since I'm using the correct lon/lat at the end of the track to calibrate, why might the output show my end coordinates so far away from there?
I'm working on my thesis playing with the GCSP tag data sets, trying to process them with GeoLocTools and FLightR. I am coming up on an error message when I selecting my twilight threshold. I have tried changing the threshold a variety of different times and still receive the same error message.
> threshold <- 0.6
> twl <- preprocessLight(raw,
+ threshold = threshold,
+ offset = offset,
+ lmax = 20, # max. light value (adjust if contrast between night and day is weak)
+ gr.Device = "x11")
Waiting for input Error in class(xx) <- cl : attempt to set an attribute on NULL
Any thoughts or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much
This news and analysis are provided by the Ornithological Council, a consortium supported by 11 ornithological societies. Join or renew your membership in your ornithological society if you value the services these societies provide to you, including OrnithologyExchange and the Ornithological Council.
In order to better serve the trade community, the USFWS Office of Law Enforcement has created a new CITES permit issuing office in the Southwest Region (Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas). For shipments that require a CITES permit (3-200-26, 3-200-28, 3-200-52, 3-200-66, 3-200-73) and are being exported from ports located within the Southwest Region, you may send the permit applications to:
Houston - Designated
19241 David Memorial Drive, Suite 175
Shenandoah, Texas 77385
Phone: (281) 230-7225
Fax: (281) 230-7227