Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

Survey on Biodiversity Conservation and Climate Change

Hello Ornithology Exchange:

I am contacting you to invite you to participate in our research on climate change and biodiversity management. Climate change and human pressures on ecosystems are intensifying and present new challenges for conservation practice, generating questions about the effectiveness of conventional approaches. Such challenges have also sparked debate about whether existing baselines are untenable; as well as when, where, and if we should pursue unconventional or more novel forms of intervention.

We know these debates are strongly influenced by preferences and perceptions of experts, but little published information on these preferences exist. To fill this important gap, I am working with colleagues (Sarah Clements – University of Liverpool; Rachel Standish – Murdoch University) to administer a survey that examines how experts perceive the challenges of climate change relative to other pressures on ecosystems, and explores how their preferences might influence conservation practice. Insights from this survey will help identify some of the key challenges, research needs, and potential pathways to support climate change adaptation.

I hope that you would be willing to spend about 20 minutes completing the survey, which is available here: https://liverpool.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/biodiversity-and-climate-change.

We are also keen to get broad coverage in disciplinary expertise and experience, as well as geography. Would you be willing to distribute this survey to your networks? Alternatively, if you have recommendations for people or organizations we should contact directly, please let me know. We have also created a call for participants page, which can be found here: https://www.callforparticipants.com/study/page-summary/RDYRM. If you could distribute this page through your social media or professional networks, we would greatly appreciate it.

This study has received ethical approval from the University of Liverpool (Application #3256). More information about the study can be found here:

https://static.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/media/account/111/survey/473545/question/information_sheet_biodiversity.pdf. If you have any questions about the survey or the ethical aspects, please contact me or Dr. Sarah Clement at sclement@liverpool.ac.uk, who is leading the survey.

Your time is greatly appreciated and will contribute to discussion and debate about how to manage biodiversity in the Anthropocene.

We hope to receive your response to the survey by 15 August 2019.

Kind regards,

Patricia L. Kennedy

Professor Emeritus, Department of Fisheries & Wildlife

Eastern Oregon Agricultural Research Center

Oregon State University

Union Experiment Station

PO Box E

372 S. 10th St.

Union, OR 97883

541-562-5129 X 31

Archived