Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

Results: Things are off, help me ID the issue

Hi all,

I've been running through my geo data off and on for a few months now and I am seeing a pattern. The deployment/recovery location is north-central NM near the town of Los Alamos which is on the east flank of the Jemez Mountains. One thing that might be throwing my results off would be the sunset shading of the mountains. All of the tags I have from this summer all show this offset, but sometimes it shows the breeding grounds in Kansas and wintering in southern NM. The various plots and commands used are in the attached word document. 

These are WEBLs in our nestbox network. 

Any thoughts on this?  

Unit21_Nov29_Commands.docx

Unit21_FLightR.map.pdf

Hi Chuck,

The map looks like absolutely wrong.. We have to investigate the case. 

The first thing that is wrong in your code is

twl <- twilightAdjust(twl, 2*60) 

This should not be done for FLightR.

Another introductory thing is that I do not know whether you use drift adjusted files or not (drift adjusted is strongly recommended for .lig files)

Let me know whether that helps,

Cheers,

Eldar

Hi Eldar,

Thanks for the helpful post. I removed said line from the code and ran it again. I attached the map. It did shift some things slightly west but there is still something wrong in my code. I used the BAS software to process the raw data and adjust for drift. I will re-run that just in case that was wrong somehow. 

I subsetted the data by trimming off the first few days after deployment and the a few days before the recovery. My calibration dates were set to the first 13 days (06/18/2015 - 07/01/2015) and the last 12 days (05/15/2016 - 05/29/2016). Would changing these help? 

Best regards,

Chuck...

Unit21_FLightR.map_30Nov.pdf

I would go back and baby-step through this analysis. Are you getting reasonable results from a threshold analysis? If not you might want to solve that problem first before going on to FLightR. 

And ditto what Eldar said about clock drift. That can give you large and directional longitudinal errors.

I would go back and baby-step through this analysis. Are you getting reasonable results from a threshold analysis? If not you might want to solve that problem first before going on to FLightR. 

And ditto what Eldar said about clock drift. That can give you large and directional longitudinal errors.

The drift was okay, but you were right to suggest looking more at the threshold. Things are starting to clean up. I do have a TWGeos questions that I'll post in a separate thread though. 

Archived