In May, 1907, a small band of bird lovers began to take bird walks in the hills and canyons of Garvanza (now Highland Park). Interest grew and numbers increased, and on March 2, 1910, the group formed the organization that was to become the Los Angeles Audubon Society. Although the Society’s original focus was recreation and providing programs for bird enthusiasts, the Society also has a decades-long track record of conservation advocacy. This advocacy included not only support for establishment of bird and wildlife sanctuaries and preserves in Los Angeles, and indeed across the country, but all legislation effecting the welfare of living things commanded the attention of the Society.
Today, the Los Angeles Audubon Society is a California non-profit 501 © (3) corporation.
- Grants linking to this organization: Ralph W. Schreiber Ornithology Research Awards