Payroll Accountant at Point Blue Conservation Science
Location: Petaluma, CA
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Compensation and Benefits:
$72,245-$87,726 Annually. Salary is based on qualifications and internal equity. Point Blue provides a comprehensive benefit package including employer paid medical and dental for staff and 75% for dependents. Other benefits include life insurance, long-term care, long and short-term disability, flexible spending accounts, and retirement plans as well as time off benefits.
About Point Blue:
Point Blue Conservation Science is a growing and internationally renowned non-profit with over 160 staff and scientists based in Petaluma, California. Founded in 1965 as Point Reyes Bird Observatory, our mission and programs have evolved over time to include a broad range of conservation activity, from restoration to environmental education to innovative work in the field of regenerative agriculture. We have a proven track record of scientific excellence.
We recognize that increasing racial, gender, cultural, and other diversity, equity, and inclusion factors at Point Blue and in our partnerships is essential for the success of our mission, vision, and strategy. We are actively engaging in a process to create lasting organizational change. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to join our teams. We strongly encourage applications from people with backgrounds that are under-represented in the conservation community.
The Payroll Accountant processes Point Blue’s bi-weekly payroll and completes a variety of detailed reports for financial reporting and maintaining other systems. Compiles financial and non-financial data for the preparation of internal reports, invoicing, compliance, and audits.
Provides accounting support to ensure the efficient operation of the Finance team. Responsible for the management of project and source codes across multiple finance and accounting systems. Ensure payroll and labor distribution data is maintained and accurately and efficiently reported.
Essential Functions Include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of bi-weekly payroll for all employees in accordance with statutory requirements and regulations.
- Maintain payroll operations by following policies and procedures; report and recommend necessary changes.
- Ensure all necessary documentation is kept in an orderly manner for compliance and audit purposes.
- Run bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports needed for labor compliance, tax filings, insurance audits and year end.
Project Support: 40%
- Responsible for project and source code listing records including setup of new codes, ongoing changes, and code for timesheets, payroll and all other critical financial systems.
- Support the Grants and Contracts team in contract onboarding, review, and monthly/quarterly invoicing.
- Complete grant setup processes including entry in database and tracking of documentation.
Other Accounting Support: 10%
- Provide back-up for the AP and expense reimbursement processing, as needed.
- Participate in training new employees and managers in finance systems and processes.
- Perform special projects and research as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications and experience:
- This position requires a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; and 5 years of experience in payroll and timekeeping processes.
- Strong knowledge of payroll practices, policies, and procedures
- Proficiency in HRIS and Timekeeping Systems
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting
- Demonstrated experience evaluating and maintaining strong internal controls.
- General knowledge of database structures and report building and ability to identify interrelated systems.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise effective professional judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to perform as team player be self-motivated and resourceful.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills with ability to multi-task in a dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete work requiring significant attention to detail and quality.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- This position works from home 1-2 days per week and in a professional office environment 3-4 days per week.
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, and filing cabinets.
- The work environment is indoors with majority of time spent at a desk.
- Ability to move up to 25 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to use a computer keyboard and calculator.
Position Type, Expected Hours of Work, and Travel:
- This is a full-time position.
- Days and hours of work are generally Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
- Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- No travel is expected for this position.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in an uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.