Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

USFWS Division of Migratory Bird Management gets new deputy chief

Fern Davies

From Brad Bortner, Chief, Division of Migratory Bird Management

It is my pleasure to announce Ken Richkus will serve as Deputy Chief for the Division of Migratory Bird Management starting on February 22nd.  I know Ken identifies deeply with the mission of the Migratory Bird Program and has spent all of his professional career dedicated to the conservation and management of migratory birds.  Ken has been part of DMBM since 2003 and has held several DMBM leadership positions.  Ken has a strong reputation for working closely with the Regions, Flyways, States, and our conservation partners on migratory bird issues. 

For the last 5 years, Ken has served as the Chief of the Branch of Population and Habitat Assessment, where he was tasked with providing leadership and guidance to a diverse team of technical, biological, and administrative staff.  His team was charged with overseeing analyses of our population monitoring data, and conducting technical assessments in support of the annual migratory bird regulations processes and other management decisions.  During his previous leadership assignment, Ken spent 4 years as Branch Chief of Harvest Surveys and served as primary Service liaison with the 49 states that participate in the Cooperative Migratory Bird Harvest Information Program.  Before his time with the Service, Ken earned his Ph.D. from Louisiana State University studying the nesting ecology of Northern Pintails in Saskatchewan and worked as a post-doc for Delta Waterfowl in Bismarck, ND.

Ken is a 2015 graduate of the Service’s Advanced Leadership Development Program.  During that Program, Ken broadened his experience with other Service Programs and Regions by completing assignments in the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program in the Alaska Region and as Deputy Regional Chief in the National Wildlife Refuge System in the Southeast Region.

Ken lives in Southern Maryland, just over a mile from the Chesapeake Bay.  Ken enjoys spending time with Andrea, his wife of nine years, their two boys Tyler and Justin and their Black Lab, Mackenzie.  In his free time, Ken loves to duck and deer hunt, fish, crab, train dogs, and just being outdoors.  Much of his attention now is devoted toward sharing his love of the outdoors with his two boys.  As a stress relief and a way to stay in shape, Ken also enjoys running and tries to complete at least a few half-marathons each year. 

Please join me in congratulating Ken on his new role in the Program. I know we all have big expectations and look forward to Ken’s contributions to the Migratory Bird Program.  I am excited to have Ken join me in leading DMBM.

Please share this announcement with staff and partners.

--

Brad Bortner
Chief, Division of Migratory Bird Management
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service 
Mail Stop: MB 
5275 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church, VA 22041-3803
703-358-2026 Office
301-957-0204 Cell

Centennial%20logo%20v3%20fwsblue.png

2016 marks 100 years of the Migratory Bird Treaty.  Help us celebrate find out how http://www.fws.gov/birds/MBTreaty100/

Archived