Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

Bird journals going online only; prices up, access down?

Fern Davies

(From the Peregrine Fund)

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on some of the changes occurring in the publishing world.  Wiley Publishing has announced that it is hoping to move all of its publications to electronic versions only.  This means that there will no longer be paper copies of any of their journals.  For 2015 titles such as Journal of Avian Biology, Oikos, Wildlife Society Bulletin, Biotropica, Ecography, and Functional Ecology will no longer be available without access to a computer.  They are not being printed.  Without the cost of paper or printing services I expected the prices to decrease, however Wiley has decided to increase prices instead.  Most of these journals would now cost our non-profit library around $500US to $1,800US per year.  I know many of you have relied on our library to obtain access to important research material, but I am afraid that Wiley is simply pricing specialized libraries like us out of the market.

For this reason I am asking you, the researchers in the field, what titles do you find the most important to have access to?  This will help me make a decision as to where to spend my very limited budget in order to best serve the avian researcher community.

Other titles that they publish that may be moved to electronic only include: Animal Conservation, Ibis, Conservation Biology, Journal of Field Ornithology, Journal of Wildlife Management, Journal of Animal Ecology just to name a few.  It is my hope that some of the organizations that are represented on this list will demand that paper copies will continue to be produced.

Please forgive my ramblings here, but I deemed it important that researchers consider how accessible their work will be after publication, and I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of how important a solid backup system for all of your research material is.  One hard drive crash and it could be very difficult to rebuild your personal reprint collection if you don’t have everything backed up.

Our desire is to continue to be your library and assist you in your research as your needs arise.  We even have a new link to our expanded bibliography that you can access here:

http://webopac.infovisionsoftware.com/peregrinefund/

Please share this information with others who might benefit and are not on NEOORN.

Best regards,

Travis Rosenberry- Library Director

The Peregrine Fund

Research Library

5668 W. Flying Hawk Ln.

Boise, ID 83709 USA

GRIN@peregrinefund.org

www.peregrinefund.org

Archived