The rate of loss and deterioration of wetlands such as lakes, marshes and rivers is accelerating in all regions of the world. We are deeply concerned about the impact of this loss on nature and people, but also believe we can halt and reverse this negative trend. Our vision is a world where wetlands are treasured and nurtured for their beauty, the life they support and the resources they provide.
Wetlands International is the only global non-governmental organisation (NGO) dedicated to wetlands. We are a global not-for-profit organisation. We work via our twenty offices, our partners and experts. Most of our work is financed on a project basis by governments and private donors. We are also supported by government and NGO membership.
A network organisation—working locally and globally
Our headquarters is based in the Netherlands. All of our offices contribute to develop and implement our global Strategy and work to achieve the global targets.
Our Core Values
We maintain the following core values:
- Our work is globally relevant
- Our work is based on sound science
- We work through partnerships and with a wide range of sectors
- We respect traditional values and knowledge
- We respect human rights and aim to contribute to gender equality
- We work in a transparent and accountable way