Kent, England, United Kingdom --
SBBOT is an independent charity that has the aim of the advancement of the education of the public by:
- the study of birds, their distribution and migration in accordance with the rules of the British Trust for Ornithology,
- the study and conservation of flora and fauna in the area of Sandwich Bay, Kent and in other adjacent areas that may be considered reasonable and appropriate.
This work is carried out by our Warden and a team of volunteers and is financed largely by our members by annual subscriptions and attendance at Club events. These events, the shop and the accommodation are also open to the public.
At the centre of all of the activities is the Field Centre, officially opened in September 2002 by our President Bill Oddie, it also allows the Trust to give something back to the local community, by being:
- a home for the various clubs run by SBBOT
- by fulfilling the role of Visitor Centre for people coming to the Bay
- by providing a classroom for schools and universities
- by accommodating visitors in our self catering accommodation
- and continuing as the home of the Bird Observatory.
SBBOT supports the work of the National Trust, the Kent Wildlife Trust and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds in the management of the Sandwich Bay Nature Reserve and plays a major role in documenting the bird-life of the estuary.