OWL BANDING POSITION: Migratory Bird Research Opportunity in Stevens Point, WI
Join our team as an Owl Bander for the upcoming fall migration (20 Sep. - 10 Nov. 2023) at the Linwood Springs Research Station in Central Wisconsin.
About the Position: We are seeking a skilled and dedicated Owl Bander to assist in mist netting Northern Saw-whet Owls during the fall migration. The Linwood Springs Research Station presents a unique opportunity to work with these fascinating creatures, with an estimated 325-740 Saw-whet owls and 5-35 Long-eared Owls caught each season.
Responsibilities: As an Owl Bander, your responsibilities will include:
- Setting up and monitoring mist nets during the night.
- Safely extracting birds from the nets.
- Accurate data collection and computer entry.
- Conducting banding demonstrations for small public groups.
- Work with Sassy, our educational Great Horned Owl during banding demonstrations.
- Ensure the research area is kept clean and organized.
- Update our Facebook page regularly with captivating content related to the owl banding project and the broader research activities at the station.
Requirements: To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Two or more years of mist netting experience to ensure the best practices in handling and banding of the owls.
- A valid driver's license and access to a personal vehicle for transportation to the banding site.
- Availability to work from dusk to dawn seven nights per week during the field season.
- Provided housing and some meals during the field season.
- A stipend of $1,750 for the duration of your work at the Linwood Springs Research Station.
- Mileage reimbursement.
Application: If you are passionate about bird research and have the necessary experience, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter and resume to Gene Jacobs, Director of Linwood Springs Research Station, via email: gene@RaptorResearch.com. For questions, email or call 715-347-7998.
Join our team of committed researchers and contribute to our understanding of migratory bird populations. Apply now to secure your spot as an Owl Bander at the Linwood Springs Research Station.