Rate of Pay
$14.20/hour + a reimbursed meal allowance
Field work will begin as soon as the technician is available and the season will end in early August, exact dates TBD.
RF SUNY at SUNY Brockport is seeking a qualified field technician to assist with a Master’s project investigating the effects of forest management on Eastern whip-poor-will populations. Duties will include frequent telemetry tracking of adult whip-poor-wills, nest searching, brood monitoring, nest camera maintenance, assisting with the trapping and transmitter deployment of adult whip-poor-wills, insect sample collection, and vegetation surveys.
The technician will work around 40 hours per week, but the schedule will be irregular with long hours in the late afternoon and through the night. Days off will often also be irregular. It is imperative that the technician is confident in their ability to remain alert and work throughout the middle of the night and sleep late into the day. Housing will be in a two-bedroom RV shared by the technician and the Master’s student.
· Have or be working towards a B.S. in biology, ecology, wildlife management, or a related field.
· Experience tracking wildlife through telemetry.
· Willingness and ability to effectively work long hours through the night.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule.
· Willingness to live in close quarters with others in an RV.
· Ability to maintain a positive attitude under challenging living and working conditions.
· Experience working, camping, or navigating in wilderness conditions.
· A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
· A minimum of one paid season of fieldwork experience.
· Experience trapping birds with mist nets, but motivated individuals without trapping experience are encouraged to apply.
· Experience with nest searching and brood monitoring.
· Experience identifying plants.
This position is a Research Foundation for The State University of New York (RFSUNY) position and is subject to RFSUNY policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines, and the availability of funding. All finalists for this position will be subject to suitable pre-employment background investigation and may include confirmation of credentialing. Offers may not be extended until we receive a positive outcome from the pre-employment background investigation.
RFSUNY is a private non-profit educational corporation. The RF is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. RF employees are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system, and do not receive state fringe benefits. The RF operates under a contract with The State University of New York and receives no directly appropriated state funding.
Applicants will not be reimbursed for any personal travel expenses.
To apply, please send a single PDF of your cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information for 3 professional references to Mx. Asch McDonnell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include possible start date in the cover letter. Applications are rolling.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.