H. T. Harvey & Associates, an ecological consulting firm with four offices in Northern California and one in Hawaii, is looking for an experienced senior ecologist for a full-time position in our Sacramento Valley office. The anticipated pay range for this position is $99,000―$116,000 annually plus an incentive bonus plan and a generous benefits package and participation in an annual incentive bonus program. Actual compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
What it’s like to work with us
H. T. Harvey & Associates has a reputation for deep scientific expertise and a high caliber of work in pursuit of our mission to create ecologically sound solutions to our clients’ complex natural resource challenges. The new senior ecologist will become part of the 8-person Sacramento office, which is perched along the scenic Sacramento River levee in Sacramento’s South Natomas neighborhood. As a senior manager in the office, you’ll report directly to Matt Wacker, principal-in-charge of the office. You'll lead project teams and work collaboratively with other ecologists as well as experts in botany, aquatic ecology, land management, conservation planning, ecological restoration, and landscape architecture. Our projects are in the Sacramento Valley as well as in the broader Central Valley, Sierra Nevada, and Cascade Mountain regions. The Sacramento office team has particular experience in projects focused on ecological restoration and on the long-term stewardship and monitoring of watersheds, habitat preserves, and similar conserved lands, often within the context of working agricultural lands or other multi-use landscapes.
Our ecologists spend time both in the field and in the office. When in the field you might work on special-status population surveys, impact analyses, or habitat assessments. When not doing field work, you’ll coordinate with clients and regulatory agencies, lead preparation of biological resource reports and natural resource management plans, steward processes to obtain regulatory permits, and manage project staff and budgets. Senior team members also help shape the priorities of the team and take part in decisions about new business pursuits and are encouraged to develop opportunities that align with their priority areas of interest and expertise.
What are some of the important types of projects and habitats we work on out of the Sacramento Valley office?
- Providing long term monitoring and supporting stewardship programs of conservation lands for water agencies
- Supporting the development of renewable energy projects in the Central Valley
- Assessing meadows and watersheds in the Sierra Nevada and designing restoration projects to improve ecological functions
- Developing and overseeing integrated invasive plant management programs
- Implementing the conservation programs of regional Habitat Conservation Plans and other large-scale habitat conservation programs
- Leading survey, population monitoring, and permitting projects involving Swainson’s hawks, burrowing owls, California red-legged frogs, California tiger salamanders, and vernal pool branchiopods
- Working with large private landowners to develop mitigation and conservation banks
Competencies, skills, and experience
We assume those who want to join our company as a senior ecologist have a strong and relevant academic background as well as prior applicable experience. We aim to hire team members who strive for excellence in their everyday work and who are interested in continually improving their scientific knowledge and collaborating with experts in other fields. In addition to having strong ecological expertise, the ideal candidate should have a combination of some or all of the following:
- Specialization in at least one ecological domain (wildlife, plant, aquatic, restoration ecology)
- Prior experience with federal and state biological permitting processes, ideally in California
- A drive to develop new project opportunities in your areas of expertise and interest
- Exceptional and proven technical writing ability
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Interest in hiring and mentoring staff
- Project management or junior project management experience
If you don’t have all the items above, but have a good portion of them, we still welcome you to submit your application so we can learn more about you!
A few other nitty gritty details
This position requires the future employee to:
- Follow best practices for field safety
- Hold a valid driver’s license with no major traffic violations or multiple minor violations
- Walk over varied terrain for surveys and work in inclement weather
How to apply
To start the application process, please submit your resume and a cover letter through our applicant portal. In your cover letter please:
- tell us about your specialized area(s) of expertise
- what you hope to get from your next position
- whatever else you’d like to share that isn’t obvious from your resume
Ultimately, we’ll ask for references and a work sample and potentially academic transcripts, but if you don’t have them handy now, they can be submitted later.
Please combine your cover letter and resume into one file and apply here.
H. T. Harvey & Associates Employment Package, Benefits, and Work Culture
We strive to support employees' career goals and their health and wellness. Our employment package includes a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. Project managers and other senior staff are part of a robust managerial bonus program.
H. T. Harvey & Associates has always placed a strong emphasis on health and wellness. At the center of these offerings is our top-notch medical coverage (Cigna PPO and Kaiser Permanente HMO plans) along with Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Savings Account (FSA) options. For full-time employees who opt in to one of our plans, we cover 100% of the premiums for that employee. Additional options include 50% premium coverage for spouses, domestic partners, and children. The package also includes dental and vision coverage at no cost to the employee. Pro-rated plan options are available for those who work at least 50% time.
We offer a 401(k) plan with an employer match (an especially high percentage for a company of our size!). The plan offers nearly 50 fund choices including a notable number of socially responsible investment fund options.
In addition to paid time off, employees receive 10 more paid company holidays, including Martin Luther King Day for voluntary participation in a National Day of Service.
We support ongoing professional development with peers and senior leadership and through external training. We encourage participation and membership in scientific and professional associations and offer presentation, poster, and publication bonuses.
Flexible work arrangements
We offer flexible scheduling options during the work week, with employees working from both company and home offices. Our goal is to facilitate collaboration and accommodate business needs while providing flexibility to employees.
About H. T. Harvey & Associates
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an ecological consulting firm based in the San Francisco Bay Area, with four offices in California and one in Hawaii. The Los Gatos headquarters office is listed as a Santa Clara County Green Business. Our core areas of expertise are wildlife ecology, plant ecology, aquatic ecology, restoration ecology, and landscape architecture. We hire people who strive to be the best in their fields and provide training, support, and work opportunities to grow their expertise. This year we are celebrating more than 50 years of cultivating excellence in our staff and work in pursuit of our mission to create ecologically sound solutions to our clients’ complex natural resource challenges.
H. T. Harvey & Associates is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law. We encourage people of all backgrounds and abilities to apply.