Behavioural ecology of Chirruping wedgebills in Australia's arid zone
We are looking for volunteers between July and December 2023
About the project
We are looking for volunteers to assist in monitoring and catching Chirruping wedgebills between July and December 2023 at Fowler’s Gap research station in NSW, Australia. We study the behavioural ecology of Chirruping wedgebills using cutting edge radiotracking technology and song recordings. Specifically, we are interested in how strongly pair-bonded individuals are associated with each other. We will measure individual physiological condition, breeding success, and territory quality to test for the benefits of strong partnerships. To date, very little work has quantified partnership associations using high resolution data and multiple facets of pair-bond behaviour.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in empirical avian and behavioural research in the wild. This project is a collaboration between Macquarie University (Australia), Wageningen University (Netherlands), and University of Groningen (Netherlands).
About the fieldwork
The field season will last for 5-6 months between July and December, but length of stay is flexible. Volunteers will work in the Australian outback surrounding Fowler’s Gap Arid Zone Research Station with a PhD student from Macquarie University and University of Groningen. As a volunteer you will:
- Assist with catching, banding, and equipping wedgebills with solar-powered radiotags
- Monitor the breeding behaviour of wedgebills and record their song
- Conduct experiments in the field, including removal experiments, temporary feeding stations, and predator playback
- Maintain the database
- Possibility to conduct research and co-author with research output
Accommodation will be provided, and travel within Australia will be covered. We will travel with a field vehicle on site.
We are looking for people who:
- Preferably have experience with mist netting and bird handling, but training will be provided
- Work well in small research teams, are sociable, and have strong interpersonal skills
- Are motivated to work long hours in harsh environments
To apply, please send a motivation letter and CV to Frigg (email@example.com). Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Positions will be open until filled.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.