Macaw populations have declined significantly over the past decades. The main causes are illegal poaching for the pet trade and the loss of mature forest habitat, which they rely on for feeding and nesting. MRN's vision is to see a future with thriving parrot populations in healthy, connected forests, across their former ranges. MRN’s breeding center consists of over 80 rescued non-releasable macaws, that through breeding and release of their offspring, can still contribute to the conservation of their wild relatives.
This Internship program helps recent graduates get the hands-on experience needed to pursue a successful career. The intern will be taught all they need to know to look after and manage a breeding group of Great Green or Scarlet Macaws. They will be given the responsibility of managing this group at our captive breeding program. This includes monitoring and care of several breeding pairs and their offspring. Our program is tailored to the individual and where interested the applicant will be encouraged to be involved in other projects relevant to a conservation center. In addition to learning about captive husbandry, the apprentice will learn what it takes to run a conservation organization and get experience in managing a team of volunteers, a vital and transferable skill in the practical conservation field.
The volunteer is expected to work 5.5 days a week. Monday to Friday from 5.30am until 5pm with a three-hour break and half a day in the weekend.
Duration of Work:
8 months. From December 2022 to July 2023 or from January 2023 to August 2023.
• Great experience both in terms of travel and supporting a non-profit
• Increased understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles
• Increased skill in creative problem-solving
• Increased skill in team-communication
All international and national travel costs to initially get to the site are the responsibility of the applicant. However, once on site, accommodation, daily transport, and utilities are provided at no cost. All team members buy and prepare their own food, for this we recommend you budget for at least $100 per week, or more if you like luxuries. Comprehensive insurance cover for the entire stay is a must, and should be arranged and paid for by the applicant.
Comprehensive insurance cover for the entire stay is a must, and it should be arranged and paid for by the applicant. If staying for more than 90 days, doing a visa renewal trip is also the applicant's own responsibility. The most cost-effective option is going to Nicaragua via bus for a long weekend.
· Great experience both in terms of travel and supporting a non-profit
· Increased understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles
· Increased skill in creative problem-solving
· Increased skill in team management
· Recognition Certificate if completed successfully, which will help future career
· We can also connect you with other projects that might have a position available.
Graduate or student in a biological science or other relevant field.
Desirable personal Qualities:
• Dependable and responsible
• Motivated and positive with a desire to contribute
• Interested in bird and nature conservation
• Flexible, friendly, patient and optimistic
• Sense of humor is helpful
Please send your resume/CV & cover letter at email@example.com
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.