TRC is seeking two Avian Field Technicians to monitor wintering grassland raptors at various locations throughout New York State. This is a temporary role that is needed from November 15th through March 31st, with the potential to be extended through April 15th.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Perform field observations/surveys.
- Surveys will focus on daytime driving surveys and evening visual scans from one or more stationary survey points following NYSDEC protocol for monitoring wintering grassland raptors.
- Surveys will be conducted entirely on privately-owned properties in grassland and agricultural settings.
- Communicate with private landowners.
- Abide by Company policies and procedures.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Qualified candidates will possess strong skills for identifying birds of the eastern United States by sight and sound, with a particular emphasis on identification of wintering raptors known to occur throughout New York State.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Will consider candidates currently enrolled in Biology, Environmental Science, Wildlife Studies, or related programs.
- Avian monitoring experience (e.g. point counts, transect surveys, raptor migration monitoring, etc.) strongly preferred.
- Successful applicants should have the ability to make detailed field observations, follow specific data collection protocols, and work independently, however training will be provided.
- Strong applicants will also have a passion for spending long hours in the field observing birds, be physically fit and capable of working in a field setting (hiking to survey locations, spend up to 2.5 hours at a time outside in below-freezing temperatures, snowy and/or wet conditions, etc.).
- The ability to communicate well with private landowners, navigate using GPS, and follow safety procedures is a must.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and be comfortable with regular travel to/from field sites. Some overnight travel may be required.
- Applicants must be willing to temporarily relocate to the area adjacent to the field site and/or stay in hotels for several nights per/week during the field season. Per diem will be provided to compensate technicians for travel-associated expenses.
- Strong oral/written communication and organizational skills.
TRC is an equal opportunity employer: disability/veteran. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
TRC offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a company match. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.trccompanies.com/.