One of ICF’s many offices around the world is Gillette - located in the heart of Wyoming’s energy producing Powder River Basin. The Gillette office is a small, biology-driven office composed of primarily wildlife biologists. The majority of their work is centered around the mining, oil and gas, and wind energy industries in the Rocky Mountain Region. Gillette is an industrial town of approximately 35,000 people, and within driving distance of the famous Black Hills region, Devil’s Tower, and Big Horn Mountains. Nearest cities include Rapid City, SD, Billings, MT, and Casper, WY.
As a Wildlife Technician, you will be responsible for ground and aerial wildlife surveys, habitat assessments, and data entry. The field work will require long and often irregular hours (nights, early mornings, and some weekends) in potentially adverse weather conditions. Field work is often performed on foot in rugged terrain and the ability to hike long distances is required. Field work will be conducted in remote areas with the potential for over-night/extended travel. Technicians must be able to confidently identify western avian and mammalian species. Surveys may include but are not limited to searches for grouse, migratory birds, prairie dogs, waterfowl, and raptors. Technicians must have excellent navigational skills with GPS as well as maps and compass, and be able to operate four-wheel drive trucks and ATVs. Technicians will work as part of a team, so group collaboration, cooperation, and communication skills are essential! However, technicians will also be required to work independently in the field, so dedication, accountability, and resourcefulness are also equally important qualities.
About On-Call Employment with ICF
Given the seasonal or project-specific nature of our environmental work, ICF often hires environmental professionals as “On-Call” employees. On-Call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available and suitable weather conditions permit (work is usually scheduled a few weeks ahead of time), and each on-call employee is free to accept or refuse the hours assigned to them in a given week. On-Call employees may work concurrent projects outside of their ICF assignment (along as their outside work does not create a conflict of interest with the work they do for ICF). Expected field work responsibilities to include 20-40+ hours per week from late March through early June with the possibility of through the end of 2019. This seasonal On-Call position has the potential for promotion to a full-time position in the future.
- Ground and Aerial Biological Surveys.
- Record Keeping and Data Entry.
- Sage-grouse trapping and telemetry.
- B.S. degree in wildlife biology or closely related field.
- Must be proficient in navigation using iPads, maps, and GPS.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to operate four-wheel drive trucks.
- Must be able to work independently in the field for extended periods of time.
- Have solid avian and mammalian identification skills.
- Ability to hike long distances, withstand cold/hot and windy conditions for long periods, and be able to lift heavy items (more than 50 lbs.) if needed for field safety.
- Strong knowledge of short-grass prairie/shrub-steppe vegetation preferred.
- Previous consulting experience or biological resources management.
- Experience in or knowledge of energy development industry
- Previous experience conduction aerial surveys from fixed-wing aircraft
- Previous experience operating All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV’s) and/or snowmobiles
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
- Excellent problem solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and Esri Arc GIS programs
Use the following link https://www.icf.com/careers/jobs/R1900880 to apply or send resumes directly to email@example.com
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce. ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.