Wildlife Monitoring Technician - This position requires an individual who enjoys working daily in the outdoors, is self-sufficient in remote, often inclement conditions, can work cooperatively with a variety of personalities, and is able to communicate effectively.
Primary responsibility will be to perform wildlife mortality monitoring surveys on an established wind farm site in central Pennsylvania.
- Walk approximately 3-5 miles of open ground within approximately 6-8 hours
- Must be able to begin work on site near sunrise (predetermined daily meeting time). There will be a few delays before or during the season due to weather.
- Daily completion of datasheets (complete, neat, and submitted daily)
- Use of digital data collection to document field conditions and collect data
- Collection of bird and bat carcasses
- Use of equipment such as a compass, laser rangefinder & GPS
- Will work in pairs with limited direct supervision
- Frequent bending and kneeling when collecting carcasses
- Some manual labor, including preparation, construction and maintenance of study plots
- Daily interaction with wind farm personnel, co-workers, and landowners
- Frequent communication via phone and email
- Frequent communication with supervisor is required
- Field location is near Portage, PA
- Positions are temporary and part time
- 3-4 (6-8 hour) days per week, including weekends
- Daily start may vary due to weather or site conditions
- Individual days of work on a given week vary and may include weekends
- We work outdoors in all weather conditions (except per site safety requirements)
- Housing and travel cost is not provided
- Appropriate dress is required. Boots and long pants are mandatory (no sleeveless shirts)
- Company provides all required safety gear (safety gear must be worn at all times on the site)
- Must have a working cell phone. Cell phones are used for required daily communication. (you are not permitted to search while talking on the phone)
- Weapons are NOT permitted on the work site
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Ecology, Biology or related field is strongly preferred.
- Must have dependable transportation to and from work site
- Must be personable, punctual, and flexible
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a cell phone with texting capabilities
- Must have regular access to internet for email
- Must be able follow directions even if they seem to be inefficient- following procedures is a critical part of this position
- Must be detail oriented; proper data collection is crucial
- Willing to learn new skills
- Must be willing to work on weekends
- Strong work ethic is important
- Good written and verbal communication skills
Working knowledge of navigating with a compass is a plus
- Able to work alone while maintaining focus in an outdoor work environment
- Needs to be able to maintain a good attitude/focus while working in bad weather under difficult conditions
- Will do work that requires a committed effort and high level of motivation and focus
- Able to tolerate working in inclement weather conditions such as heavy precipitation, high winds, prolonged exposure to intense sunlight, and hot, cold, and sometimes high humidity is common
Start Date: Week of March 21, 2022.
TRC offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a company match. For more information please visit our website at https://www.trccompanies.com.