Type: Full-time (Temporary) Position Advertisement (2 Positions)
Position Title: Waterfowl Technician - Delaware
Location: Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge (within Kent County, Delaware).
Date: 1-15-2021 to 05-01-2021* (*Approximate end date with flexibility and potential for additional work).
Description: A technician(s) is required to set up and manage multiple waterfowl traps in the Delmarva Peninsula for the winter of 2021-2022. Trapping will primarily target Mallards which will be fitted with telemetry devices to spatially track birds across the landscape in relation to potential avian influenza virus risk and correlation with NEXRAD weather surveillance radar signatures. Duties will transition into environmental sampling and data analysis as the season progresses. No housing is provided for the position, therefore, living in Delaware is essential.
• Baiting, monitoring, and maintenance of waterfowl traps.
• Assisting with capture, banding, and transmitter attachment of targeted waterfowl.
• Cloacal and oropharyngeal swabbing to test for avian influenza virus.
• Observe and record waterfowl behavioral trends in order to logistically maximize capture efforts.
• Environmental sampling (water and sediment) and processing.
• Data processing and analysis.
• Knowledge and basic understanding of waterfowl and waterfowl behavior.
• Ability to follow IACUC and BBL trapping regulations and bird-handling protocols.
• Ability to work in cold conditions and be comfortable working in chest waders.
• Access to personal vehicle.
• Radio-telemetry device attachment experience.
• Waterfowl (or other wildlife) trapping/trap maintenance experience.
• Experience installing and maintaining game cameras.
Contact Information: Please contact Matthew J. Hardy via email with a copy of your resume/CV (either is fine).
Cell # (484)-892-5934
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org