The San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory (SFBBO) is seeking two full-time Waterbird Interns to assist with waterbird field studies. The two waterbird internships will begin in September 2019, with a preferred training period beginning in mid-August. The internships require a 9-month commitment through May 2020, and have the possibility of extension depending on project needs. The internships will be based in Milpitas, CA. The interns will receive training and mentorship from SFBBO staff and will develop their skills in waterbird survey techniques and data management. The interns will be assisting with surveys at managed ponds in support of the South Bay Salt Pond Restoration Project (www.southbayrestoration.org). The interns may assist with additional projects in the Waterbird Program, including SFBBO’s California Gull Research and Monitoring, Colonial Waterbird Nest Monitoring, and Avian Disease Prevention programs (https://www.sfbbo.org/avian-science.html).
· Conduct waterbird surveys and water quality sampling at South Bay ponds
· Conduct gull counts and behavioral survey at local landfills
· Work with SFBBO staff, partner agencies, and volunteers to coordinate field work
· Enter, proof, and manage data collected
· Assist with equipment maintenance and other SFBBO projects as assigned
· Coursework toward a degree in biology, ecology, or related field
· Familiarity with waterbird species of the San Francisco Bay (including shorebirds, waterfowl and gulls)
· Good physical condition and enthusiasm for long days in the field
· Willingness to tolerate harsh field conditions (mud, sun, dust, salt spray)
· Willingness to work irregular hours including early mornings, evenings and some weekends
· Strong work ethic, organizational skills, and attention to detail
· Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and reliable personal vehicle
· Ability to navigate and orient using maps
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Effective oral and written communication skills
· Recently completed BA/BS in biology, ecology, or related field
· Excellent waterbird identification skills
· Off-road driving experience (SFBBO truck provided for off-road driving)
· Solid computer skills, including working knowledge of MS Access and Excel
· Experience conducting field work in the San Francisco Bay
Compensation: Applicants should be students or recent graduates (within the last year) with a degree in wildlife biology, environmental science or a related field. This is a full-time internship position. A stipend of $150/week will be provided. Shared housing may be available at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge in Fremont, CA for non-residents. An SFBBO vehicle or reimbursement for use of a personal vehicle will be available for pre-approved, work-related travel. SFBBO will provide most field gear, including a spotting scope.
Please e-mail the following materials to Dr. Max Tarjan, email@example.com: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) list of three references (names, email addresses, and phone numbers). Include all materials in one Word or PDF file, and include your last name in the file name. Include “Waterbird Internship” in the e-mail subject. Application review will begin August 12th. SFBBO is an EOE.