APPLY ONLINE ONLY AT: https://careers-audubon.icims.com/jobs/4355/walton-county-beach-steward/job
Audubon Florida helps to manage beach-nesting birds through much of the Panhandle, posting, stewarding and protecting nesting areas from disturbance. To better monitor and protect the nesting shorebirds and seabirds along the beaches of Walton County, Audubon is hiring a seasonal Walton County Beach Steward. The primary responsibility of the Walton County Beach Steward is to organize volunteers in order to monitor shorebird nesting and conduct public outreach at nesting areas mostly, but not limited to, State Park sites including Deerpoint Lake SP, Grayton Beach SP and Topsail Hill SP.
This is a part-time seasonal position working 27 hours a week between April and July 2020 with a focus on weekend days and holidays, including Memorial Day, and Independence Day.
With the help of the Western Panhandle Program Manager, the Walton County Beach Steward will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Contact and recruit volunteers.
- Conduct public outreach on nesting beaches.
- Assist with training volunteers and organize volunteers for public outreach on nesting beaches.
- Monitor shorebird nests for nesting progress and disturbance.
- Entering data in a timely, ordered fashion.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience and ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, support and schedule volunteers.
- Work well independently and with others.
- Must be able to work in full summer sun, walk in sand, and lift 30 lbs, with or without accommodation.
- A flexible approach to work and be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Must have a valid driver's license and vehicle.
- Experience with volunteer organization, education, and management preferred.
- Familiarity with Walton County beaches preferred.
- Experience with shorebird identification and nest monitoring preferred.
Edited by aruhl