WildResearch is looking for volunteers to join our new British Columbia Marsh Monitoring Program Committee
The Marsh Monitoring Program is an initiative from Birds Canada that was initially launched in 1995 in the Great Lake basin and has since extended across Canada and the US. Birds Canada has now partnered with WildResearch to establish the program here in British Columbia. The British Columbia Marsh Monitoring Program (BCMMP) targets birds and amphibians that depend on our freshwater wetlands. The BCMMP will initially focus on the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley in southwest British Columbia in 2021, and upon establishment we aim to expand to the rest of BC.
After our workshop in February we received a lot of interest for the program and most of the marshes that we selected are now adopted by volunteers. We are very happy with such a successful start of the program and we are excited to see the first surveys being completed. Being our first year, we are still learning about the tasks required for running the program. We quickly learned that we could use help communicating with volunteers and landowners and are therefore looking for 2 keen volunteers to join our BCMMP Committee. We expect the majority of the work will take place during the survey season between February and July. The expected time commitment is about 2-4 hours per week and will likely fluctuate throughout the season.
• Enthusiasm for community science, non-profit organizations, and science communication
• Demonstrates organizational & communication skills
• Interest in local marsh birds and/or amphibians
Bonuses (not required)
• Experience working with volunteers and governments
• Knowledge of local marsh birds and/or amphibians
• In the interest of diversifying our committees and providing opportunities to marginalized groups, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour applicants will be considered first for these positions
• Assign volunteers to survey locations and survey stations
• Validate survey stations and register them in NatureCounts
• Help validate and register new marsh locations
• Help in acquiring landowner permission for surveys
• Support with questions (where possible)
Does this sound like something for you? Then please email us at email@example.com and mention “BCMMP Committee Volunteer Application” in the subject title.
Volunteers on WildReseach committees must be WildResearch members. Not a member yet? Join our vibrant and passionate group of volunteers working to further conservation through community science and outreach at: www.wildresearch.ca/get-involved/become-a-member