Tambopata Macaw Project: Volunteer Field Assistant
Would you like to live in the middle of the amazon rainforest as part of a fantastic multicultural team while helping to preserve wild macaws? Add to that learning a new set of skills and great field experience at one of the longest running parrot projects in the Americas.
If this sounds good to you, come and join our team of dedicated volunteers!!
Volunteers should be self-disciplined, responsible, enthusiastic, and patient. You should also be able to tolerate moderate insect levels, and hot weather (85-90F/30-33C with high humidity). You must also be able to get along well with others in a remote field setting.
We have two different types of positions which are available year round.
Position #1: Long term volunteer assistant (8 weeks minimum, 3 month stay preferred)
Additional requirements: Good physical condition, able to carry a 40 lb (18 kg) pack over moderate terrain for up to 2 km, no fear of heights (Nov – Mar).
Volunteer activities: Volunteers will participate in all activities mentioned above. You will be trained to identify all parrots by sight and sound, climb trees to check macaw nests (Nov – Mar), monitor the clay lick, conduct parrot censuses, locate foraging parrots and enter data.
Position # 2: Short term volunteer assistant (12 to 42 day stay preferred)
Additional requirements: Average physical condition, able to walk 2 km over moderate terrain, good sense of observing animals, ability to stay seated for long periods of time, some background knowledge of birds in general.
Volunteer activities: These assistants will be quickly trained to identify all the local parrots by sight and become experts at clay lick monitoring and macaw nest observation with video camera systems (Nov – Mar). Due to the short length of stay, volunteers will have only minimal involvement in activities requiring higher training levels like parrot censuses and tree climbing. Assistants will also help with data entry.
Volunteers need to pay a daily fee according to the position and experience:
Position #1: 20 USD/day
Position #2: 40 USD/day
*A onetime processing fee of $30 will be added for all volunteers.
This rate covers food, non-bar beverages, unlimited tea and coffee, accommodation (bedding is provided by the company), transport to the lodge from Puerto Maldonado. Once a volunteer was accepted they will be sent an invoice by email from Texas A&M University. Upon receipt, the volunteer needs to pay 20% of the total cost of their stay. This non-refundable payment is required to holds the reservation for the researcher. The remaining 80% of the payment should be made at least two weeks before the assistant arrives at TRC. Arrangements can be made if assistants wish to pay in cash in Peru. However, prior permission from the coordinator is needed. Changes to the daily fee may apply according to availability and season. For the actual prices please contact the project coordinator: email@example.com
How to apply
To apply please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This email should contain the following:
1. A letter of interest explaining why you are want to work on the project
2. Your CV or resume
3. Email addresses for at least 3 references
4. The range of dates when you will be available and how long you can participate. For example you may say something like “any 20 day period between July and November 2019”.
The Tambopata Macaw Project is a long term research project on the ecology and conservation of macaws and parrots in the lowlands of southeastern Peru under the direction of Dr. Donald Brightsmith of the Schubot Exotic Bird Health Center at Texas A&M University. This project has been working with wildlife and local communities since 1989. A long history of dedicated research and monitoring has provided many insights into various aspects of parrot and wildlife of south eastern Peru. We are always looking to collaborate with anyone with a passion for conservation and biology.