- We are looking for field assistants in our long-term study of breeding biology of various ground-nesting birds (Anthus spp., Sicalis luteola, Ammodramus humeralis, Nothura maculosa, and others).
- Location: Parque Costero del Sur, Punta Indio, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Perdiod: from October 21st to December 16th
- Stay requiered: 4 weeks (longer stays can be considered later)
- We collect information on reproductive success, foraging behaviour, chick growth rates, population trends and behavior ecology. Field work consists of nest searching, nest monitoring, census, banding, conducting behavioral observations, cameras placement and vegetation measurements. Research work is part of a PhD thesis at Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- We work inside a Natural Reserve which protects natural grasslands as well as native dry forests (Parque Costero del Sur, MAB-UNESCO)
- Applicants must get along well with others, be willing to work hard, and be self motivated. Good physical condition and ability to make careful observations are preferred.
- Volunteers will stay in a rustic field camp 25 km from the nearest town. Volunteers should bring their own tent and sleeping bag. They must provide their own airfare to Buenos Aires, Argentina, and transportation from Buenos Aires to La Plata (55 km).
- Camp has electricity, fresh water and limited Internet access.
Volunteers are required to pay a fee (U$D 50 per week) to cover food, lodging and help defray costs of the project.
TO APPLY: send a cover letter and a curriculum vitae to Martín Colombo
with the subject "Volunteer opportunity 2019"
Further information will be provided via email, don't hesitate to ask!