We are looking for volunteer field assistants for our study of avian behavioral ecology in the Dagangzi forestry station in the Northeast China. The volunteers are expected to assist in the field work of the Daurian redstart project. The project is under supervised by Beijing Normal University (China) and the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology (Germany).
The volunteers will be working with a crew of 3-5 people, including students, field technician and other volunteers. Duties of the include searching and monitoring nests, catching and banding adult birds, banding nestlings, conducting experiments (personality and problem-solving assessing), and managing data, etc.
The project will start form the late March and until the early August. Volunteers can take part in the project at any time, but those with a minimum stay of two or more months are preferred.
Volunteers will have opportunities to learn field skills of ornithological research, see many Chinese bird species, and experience Chinese tradition and culture.
The project will cover all work-related expenses during the volunteering period (i.e. housing, foods, and traffics, etc.), but there is no salary, and the assistants are responsible for their travel to and from China.
1. Strong interest in wildlife research, especially birds and animal behaviors;
2. A background in biology, ecology or a related field. Previous experience with birds is preferred, but not essential (basic training, such as mist-netting and behavioral observation, will be provided).
3. Be physically fit for field work and willing to work for long and irregular time in the field.
4. Be used to Chinese diet and be willing to share rooms with other crew members.
5. Be responsible and cooperative.
If you are interested in the project, please contact Jinggang Zhang at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application should include (1) a short resume or CV, (2) the dates you will be available for the project and (3) the names and contact information of at least two references.
We are looking forward to you!
Edited by siskins