University of Maine's School of Forest Resources is seeking songbird field technicians (3) to assist with a Golden-winged Warbler and Blue-winged Warbler (genus Vermivora) hybridization study on Fort Drum Army Base in New York.
Primary work duties will include mist-netting, banding, nest searching, nest monitoring, and radio tracking Golden-winged Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, and hybrids. Technicians will also conduct vegetation surveys following peak breeding and tracking activities. Lodging is provided at the Pine Lane cabins on Fort Drum, as well as a 4WD truck. Mileage reimbursements are available for those interested in using personal vehicles on occasion. Technicians will also receive CPR/first aid training early in the field season.
The work schedule is 40-hours per week, starting on May 1st and ending approximately in early August, 2023. Fort Drum is a short drive from Lake Ontario beaches, Canada, and the Adirondack Mountains, giving technicians plenty to explore during their down time.
For more information on the exceptional bird diversity in the area encompassing Fort Drum, visit the linked eBird bar charts for Jefferson County, New York:
-$15.70/hour, with potential for pay increase
- Interest in wild birds and the outdoors.
- Comfortable hiking in young forests with ticks, flies, and mosquitoes.
- Possession of valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Ability to clear a background check and can enter a U.S. military installation.
- Personable, and can live and work with a field crew of 4+ people.
- Ability to identify songbirds aurally and visually.
- Experience with nest searching and monitoring.
- Experience with mist-netting, banding, blood sampling, and deploying leg-loop harnessed transmitters on songbirds.
To Apply, send a cover letter, resume, and three references as a single PDF attachment to email@example.com
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.