North Carolina State University is seeking experienced avian field technicians to assist with research on Henslow’s Sparrows near Greenville, NC from May 1st through July 31st, 2022. Fieldwork includes nest searching and monitoring (primary responsibility), conducting point count surveys, and nest-site vegetation sampling. Top candidates will work well in a team and be comfortable working long hours outdoors. Housing at field site, a field vehicle, and a wage of $15–17/hr (up to 40 hours/week) is provided.
Field work includes:
1. Find and monitor nests using bird behavior
2. Conduct point count surveys to estimate population size
3. Conduct nest-site vegetation surveys
4. Re-sighting color banded Henslow’s Sparrows
1. Hold a bachelor’s degree in ecology, biology, or similar discipline
2. Have a solid work ethic, positive attitude, and strong observational skills
3. Have experience conducting nest searches and monitoring breeding productivity
4. Have experience conducting avian surveys and re-sighting color banded birds
5. Can conduct field work beginning at sunrise in hot, buggy conditions and in uneven terrain
6. Have good communication abilities with supervisors and coworkers
7. Are able to follow protocols for field work and data entry
8. Work well both independently and in a team
9. Hold a valid US driver’s license
Preference will be given to applicants with previous experience with grassland bird species, nest searching for ground nesting birds using behavioral cues, and vegetation surveying.
Use the following link to submit your application through the NC State website: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/173949
Please contact Emily Nastase (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about the position.