Normandeau Associates, Inc., one of the nation’s largest science-based environmental consulting firms, is seeking a temporary, on-call Marine Ornithologist in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area of Virginia. Field work will include conducting and supporting boat-based bird surveys in the pelagic environment using distance sampling techniques and recording field observations in the SeaScribe application. Field work may require long days on a boat off the coast of Virginia. Work is expected to occur approximately every other month starting in January throughout 2021.
Requirements for the position include:
- Experience with pelagic bird surveys from a boat
- Proficiency with marine bird identification by sight and sound
- Ability to record data accurately and thoroughly
- Ability to estimate distances and measure distances with a rangefinder
- Must be able to interact professionally with other field biologists and the project manager
- Ability to begin work around sunrise and continue for much of the day
- Ability to work with and coordinate with other biologists conducting the same surveys
- Android or iOS based device to run SeaScribe
- Bachelor’s degree in natural sources, biology, or wildlife management
- Experience with distance sampling techniques
- Recording data in SeaScribe
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, organized, and able to switch between diverse tasks with ease. Candidates must also be able to work in the United States without Company sponsorship.
As an employee-owned company, Normandeau offers a competitive salary. Please submit a cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following in your email subject line: 2020FL09. Normandeau Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer -Minorities/Females/Veteran/Disabled.