Job Description: Technician will monitor nesting activities and behavior of beach-nesting birds (Piping Plover, American Oystercatcher, Black Skimmer, Common and Least Tern), as well as document disturbance and predation and will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, and doing data entry, public outreach, equipment maintenance, and other duties as necessary. The position requires walking long distances over sandy beach, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
· Searching for and monitoring nests and conducting bird surveys
· Recording detailed observations and data in the field
· Monitoring beach nesting bird broods
· Documenting disturbance and predation
· Data entry and management
Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
· Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
· Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license.
· Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
· Must be able to walk long distances in uneven terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
· Experience identifying and monitoring beach nesting birds and nest searching
· Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
· Ability and willingness to interact with the public and work well with partners
· Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
· Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
Starting Date: April 15, 2019 End Date: August 23, 2019
Salary: $ 960 to $1,080 bi-weekly, depending on experience.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org