Job Classification: Seasonal Part-time (30 hrs./week), (Mar 1 – May 31, 2021)
Job Description: Technician position available during the period March 1 to May 31, 2021 for an ongoing and evolving bird migration monitoring project at Cape May, NJ. The area is world-renowned as a migration hotspot, but a large majority of bird study here has historically occurred during autumn. There is still much to learn about how, why, and when birds migrate north through the Cape May region. The Cape May Springwatch is the newest formalized migration count project conducted by New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory. The Springwatch Technician will assist the Migration Count Coordinator in carrying out the count and associated data gathering tasks.
Responsibilities: Primary duties include assisting with and/or conducting stationary migration counts at Cape May Point and other locations on or near Cape Island. These counts will occur every day, beginning at sunrise and continuing 3-6 hours, contingent on conditions. All species of migrating birds are tabulated. Additional projects may include transect and area surveys aimed at detecting migrant songbirds, conducting exploratory evening migration counts, and acoustic monitoring (analyzing nocturnal flight calls recorded at one or more stations). Additional research and interpretation opportunities exist with New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
· Enthusiastic, disciplined, and responsible, with a strong interest in bird migration is essential.
· Previous experience with avian field research, particularly migration monitoring, is highly desirable but not compulsory, learning on the job is expected and we will provide training and support.
· Applicants should have experience interacting with the public.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office to fulfill the job requirements.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues required.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
· Ability to lift 25 lbs. as necessary.
· All applicants must have their own transportation, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: March 1, 2021
End Date: May 31, 2021
Salary: $12/hour. Housing may be available.
Application Deadline: January 20, 2021 but applications will be reviewed as received.
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter, resume, and three references as a single PDF document to email@example.com
Please indicate “Springwatch Technician” in the subject line so that your application is directed to the appropriate department.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.