Description: Located along the southern shore of Lake Erie, Presque Isle State Park in Erie, Pennsylvania, is a premiere site for bird migration, especially in spring. Erie Bird Observatory, headquartered at the park, is seeking a Spring Migration Waterbird Monitor who can provide accurate waterbird identification, counting, and reporting, while also coordinating and encouraging volunteers to participate in monitoring.
Applicant must possess strong waterbird and general bird identification skills. Prior field experience is highly preferred.
Duties include conducting counts from different points around the park, interacting with volunteers, completion of field data forms, and entering data into a database. Preparing an end of the season report is also required.
The Monitor will be supervised and supported by the Executive Director of EBO. Excellent communications skills and the ability to work independently are essential.
This is a seasonal position from 4 March through 27 April (8 weeks).
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Familiarity with waterbird migration and experience identifying all eastern North American waterbirds is required.
- Enthusiastic, dedicated and motivated self-starter who can work independently in sometimes difficult conditions.
- While not required, previous environmental interpretation and/or teaching skills are ideal, but a passion for connecting bird and habitat conservation to the community is essential.
- Careful data collecting skills are a must. Must be computer/tablet literate and capable of entering and managing data (computer access will be provided).
- Flexibility to adjust hours to weather and visibility conditions is necessary.
- Monitor must provide own vehicle and must have a valid driver’s license. Mileage within the study area will be reimbursed.
- The Monitor must be able to hike into and around marshes.
- Must have a personal pair of binoculars, and a spotting scope is preferred.
Duration: 8 weeks, from March 4th through April 27th
Application Deadline: Until filled.
Compensation: $500 per week. Short-term housing is available for $120/week at a nearby university.
To Apply: Applicants should submit a cover letter, a resume with relevant experience, and contact information for three references (include phone and email) to Sarah Sargent at email@example.com.