SONGBIRD TECHNICIAN for Cape May Songbird Stopover Project, a long-term migration monitoring/banding program at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier fall migration hot spots in the country. The project applies sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to migratory songbirds and the natural habitats with which they depend on during stopovers on Cape May peninsula.
Major Responsibilities Duties:
· Site Preparation (i.e. site setup, net lane clearing) and breakdown
· Site Maintenance (maintaining net lanes, net repair, etc.)
· Extracting birds from mist-nets
· Record data on paper datasheets daily at banding station, transfer data to Microsoft Excel datasheets weekly, and into the BBL’s program, BANDIT at the end of the season.
· Writing summary reports for print and web
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
· Mist-netting and bird banding experience in a high-volume banding station necessary (>5,000 birds/season)
· Bird extraction experience using the body-grasp method required
· Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying passerines, near-passerines, raptors and marsh birds by sight.
· Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office) to fulfill the job requirements. Proficiency with MS Excel essential
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Careful data collecting skills is a must.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural inclusion and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
· Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. and walk on uneven terrain.
· All applicants must have access to a vehicle, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: August 7, 2023 End Date: 10 November 2023
Salary: $14.50-15.50/hour. Housing provided.
Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Songbird Tech” in the subject line to insure your application is properly directed.