The Bulluck lab at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA seeks to hire one field technician to assist a graduate student with research on Golden-winged Warbler adult survival as well as surveying the bird community across Highland County, Virginia. The Golden-winged Warbler population has declined sharply, especially in the Appalachian region, and is being reviewed for protection under the Endangered Species Act. Our goal is to estimate Golden-winged Warbler annual and within-season survival through use of telemetry methods. This project is part of a range wide effort, involving multiple states and partners.
Primary duties will include point count surveys, locating tagged Golden-winged Warblers, capturing birds using targeted mist-netting, banding and measuring captured birds, attaching telemetry tags, and tracking the movements of tagged individuals. Technicians will also conduct vegetation sampling. Fieldwork will be conducted in steep terrain and remote conditions. Applicants must be adaptable and expect periodic schedule changes within the season. Attention to detail is important and applicants with prior experience mist-netting, banding birds, tracking tagged birds and conducting point counts will have preference. Housing and transportation to and from field sites is provided.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required
· Comfortable working outdoors for long hours.
· Experience observing songbird behavior and recording color band combinations
· Experience identifying eastern birds by sight and sound
· Ability to work independently and as a team
· Easy going, flexible, reliable, and hardworking personality
· Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
· Experience using radio telemetry to locate tagged individuals.
· Experience doing point count surveys
· Experience with mist nets and banding songbirds
· Experience searching for and locating nests of secretive songbirds through behavioral observation.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for 3 references in a single PDF document with subject "Golden-winged Warbler Field Assistant Position" to Lesley Bulluck at firstname.lastname@example.org Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Compensation: $2000/month plus housing
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.