SONGBIRD TECHNICIAN for Cape May long-term bird-banding operation at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier fall migration hot spots in the country. Specifically, we are hiring a songbird technician for the Cape May Bird Banding Project; 1 August through 15 November 2019. NJA fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
Major Responsibilities Duties:
· Site Preparation (i.e. site setup, net lane clearing) and breakdown
· Site Maintenance (maintaining net lanes, net repair, etc.)
· Extracting birds from mist-nets
· Record data on paper datasheets daily at banding station, transfer data to Microsoft Excel datasheets weekly, and into the BBL’s program, BANDIT at the end of the season.
· Writing summary reports for print and web
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
· Mist-netting and bird banding experience in a high-volume banding station necessary (>5,000 birds/season)
· Bird extraction experience using the body-grasp method required
· Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying passerines, near-passerines, raptors and marsh birds by sight.
· Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office) to fulfill the job requirements; Proficiency with MS Excel and BANDIT essential
· Careful data collecting skills a must.
· Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
· Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural inclusion and accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
· Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. and walk on uneven terrain.
· All applicants must have access to a vehicle, and a valid, clean driver’s license.
Start Date: 1 August 2019 End Date: 15 November 2019
Salary: $1,000/month, depending on experience Housing provided in a bunkhouse environment.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2019.
To Apply: Qualified individuals may apply by emailing cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com
Please indicate “Songbird Tech” in the subject line to insure your application is properly directed
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law