Job Description: The Shrub/Scrub Avian Survey Field Technicians (two) will be responsible for conducting bird and habitat surveys in managed early successional habitats and control sites throughout the NJ Highlands region. They will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, data entry, and other duties as necessary. The position requires working independently in the field, walking long distances over steep, rough terrain, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
· Point count surveys for target early successional bird species using distance sampling methodology
· Habitat surveys
· Recording detailed observations and data in the field
· Data entry and management
Knowledge and Skills
· Experience identifying birds of the eastern U.S. by sight and sound
· Experience conducting point count surveys
· General knowledge of vegetation and habitats of New Jersey
· Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
· Ability and willingness to interact with the public and work well with partners
· Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
· Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel or Access, required; experience with GIS preferred
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
· Motivated self-starter with capacity to work in a team setting.
· Strong professionalism and work ethic.
· Excellent oral and written skills required.
· Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
· Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
· Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
· Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
· Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license.
· Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
· Must be able to walk long distances in steep, uneven terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
Start Date: May 1, 2019 End Date: August 15, 2019
Salary: $1015-$1040/bi-weekly pay period, depending on experience. Housing arrangements may be available. Mileage reimbursement will be provided.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2020, or until filled.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.