Job Description: The Shrub/Scrub Avian Survey Field Technicians (two) will be responsible for point count surveys in managed early successional habitats and control sites throughout the NJ Highlands region. Target species include Golden-winged Warbler, Prairie Warbler, and wide variety of early successional bird species. Technicians will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, data entry, and other duties as necessary. The position requires working independently in the field, walking long distances over steep, rough terrain, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
- · Point count surveys for target early successional bird species, using distance sampling methodologies
- · Habitat surveys
- · Recording detailed observations and data in the field
- · Data entry and management
Knowledge and Skills:
- · Experience identifying birds of the eastern U.S. by sight and sound
- · Experience with point count surveys
- · General knowledge of vegetation and habitats of New Jersey
- · Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
- · Ability and willingness to interact with the public and work well with partners
- · Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
- · Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel or Access, required; experience with GIS preferred
- · Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
- · Motivated self-starter with capacity to work in a team setting.
- · Strong professionalism and work ethic.
- · Excellent oral and written skills required.
- · Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- · Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- · Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
- · Flexibility to adjust hours to meet the special needs of the program and organization.
- · Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- · Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license.
- · Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
- · Must be able to walk long distances in steep, uneven terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
Starting Date: May 1, 2019 End Date: August 15, 2019
Salary: $1015-$1040/bi-weekly pay period, depending on experience. Housing arrangements may be available. Mileage reimbursement will be provided.
Application Deadline: April 8, 2019.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org