Program: Coastal Ecology Program (CEP)
Location: Duxbury Beach, Duxbury, MA
Hours: Variable; including weekends, nights & holidays; 20-40 hr/wk
Schedule: May to September; additional off-season hours as necessary
Salary Range: Starting $13.50-$14.50 (based on qualifications)
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt (not benefit eligible)
About the Organization: The Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation, owns approximately 4 miles of Duxbury Beach, a 7.5-mile long barrier beach that extends from Marshfield in the north to Gurnet Point and Saquish in the south. The Reservation’s mission is to protect the beach structure, preserve its ecological resources and maintain recreational access. Part of this responsibility is to maintain a Coastal Ecology Program on Duxbury Beach. The Reservation leases a portion of the beach to the Town of Duxbury which sells beach stickers to access parking lots and the oversand driving area on the front beach. The Duxbury Police Department manages the people and vehicles on the beach. The Reservation also allows recreational access for the general public through daily parking passes to Duxbury Beach Park which is managed by a third party.
Nature of Work: The purpose of this position is to assist in the protection of the listed shorebird species Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus) and Least Tern (Sternula antillarum). Collecting behavioral data on chick and brood including location and movement of listed shorebird species as part of the Endangered Species Program, a subset of the Coastal Ecology Program. Observing and recording environmental data. Monitor and collect data according to provided protocols on the following: predator tracking, avian community composition, vegetation surveys etc. Interact with the public to provide information and answer questions as necessary. Communicate beach rules and regulations to beachgoers in a polite and professional manner.
Essential Functions: The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position.
- Monitor plover broods and chicks daily
- Collect and record biological data on nesting, foraging and migrating species of coastal shorebirds including abundance and distribution of target species
- Accomplish wildlife protection and education objectives of the Endangered Species Program
- Complete daily log for broods and chicks as assigned including location observations, road crossing activity and behavioral observations
- Communicate Duxbury Beach Rules & Regulations to beachgoers in a polite and professional manner
- Educate general public on beach rules and regulations and listed species habitat management
- Wear required and provided field dress during shifts
- Identify shorebirds of the Eastern U.S.
- Maintain field equipment
- Attend meetings and trainings as requested (and any additional training on how to address specific issues providing an opportunity to ask questions and review information pertinent to the time of the season)
- Understand and abide by Duxbury Beach Rules & Regulations, the Massachusetts Habitat Conservation Plan for Piping Plover Certificate of Inclusion and the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan
- Assist other Monitors as directed by the Monitor Supervisor(s) and Program Coordinator
- Collect GPS data of coastal resources
- All other assigned tasks
- Applicants should have or be working toward a B.S. or B.A. in wildlife biology/management or related field
- Experience in avian monitoring and/or field work preferred
- Candidate should have experience in behavioral data collection, an interest or willingness to learn about the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan, Federal and State endangered species acts, Massachusetts and Federal Barrier Beach guidelines, endangered species management and protection
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 60lbs across varied and sandy terrain
- Be prepared to work outdoors with exposure to extreme weather conditions in secluded areas. Practice extreme care and safety precautions while on the job including following special safety precautions, training, and wear protective clothing such as coats, hats, sunglasses, boots, etc.
- Monitors will be required to find their own housing as well as reliable transportation to and from work
- Monitors will be required to provide their own binoculars
Special Requirements: Complete Duxbury Beach ESP training following position acceptance
Special Requirements: Valid Driver’s License and ability to operate related program equipment and vehicles. Specific vision abilities required include close, medium, and distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus and distinguish colors and shapes. Visual demands include reading documents and routinely reviewing non-written materials such as instrumentation for analytical purposes. Auditory demands include communicating with others on a regular basis and distinguishing between different types of bird calls. Ability to use hands and fingers to calibrate and use field equipment such as binoculars and tablets.
How to Apply: Please fill out a job application, including a resume and cover letter (specifying the position you are applying for and dates of availability), by going to https://duxburybeach.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Your application will not be processed without completion/receipt of the items above. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will begin in January. If you have any questions about the position or application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.