Position Title: Shorebird Monitor
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt (not benefit eligible)
Department: Coastal Ecology Program (CEP)
Salary Range: $15.00 - $16.00 (based on qualifications)
Location: Duxbury Beach
Hours: Variable; including weekends, nights & holidays; 20-40 hr/wk
Schedule: May to August; additional off-season hours as necessary
About the Organization: The Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation, owns approximately 4 miles of Duxbury Beach, a 7.5-mile long barrier beach that extends from Marshfield in the north to Gurnet Point and Saquish in the south. The Reservation’s mission is to protect the beach structure, preserve its ecological resources and maintain recreational access. Part of this responsibility is to maintain a Coastal Ecology Program on Duxbury Beach.
Nature of Work: The purpose of this position is to assist in the protection of the listed shorebird species Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus) and Least Tern (Sternula antillarum). Employee will perform biological field work for the Endangered Species Program, a subset of the Coastal Ecology Program, by collecting behavioral data on unfledged chicks and broods. Monitor and collect data according to provided protocols on the following: predator tracking, avian community composition, vegetation surveys etc. Interact with the public to provide information and answer questions as necessary. Communicate beach rules and regulations to beachgoers in a polite and professional manner.
Responsibilities and Duties: The responsibilities and duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position.
Biological Field Work and Data Collection:
- Accomplish wildlife protection and education objectives of the Endangered Species Program
- Daily monitoring of piping plover broods and unfledged chicks
- Collect and record biological data on foraging plover broods including behavioral and location observations
- Assist in temporary road closures of beach roadway to facilitate brood crossings between bayside and Oceanside foraging habitats
- Wear required and provided field dress during shifts
- Identify shorebirds of the Eastern U.S
- Maintain field equipment
- Understand and abide by Duxbury Beach Rules & Regulations, the Massachusetts Habitat Conservation Plan for Piping Plover Certificate of Inclusion and the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan
- Assist other Monitors as directed by the Monitor Supervisor(s), Field technician(s) and Program Coordinator
- Collect GPS data of coastal resources
- Communication and Public Outreach:
- Communicate Duxbury Beach Rules & Regulations to beachgoers in a polite and professional manner
- Educate general public on beach rules and regulations and listed species habitat management
- Attend trainings and meetings as requested, including additional trainings to address and review specific issues pertinent to the time of the season
- All other assigned tasks
- Applicants should have or be working toward a B.S. or B.A. in wildlife biology/management or related field
- Experience in avian monitoring and/or field work preferred
- Candidate should have experience in behavioral data collection, an interest or willingness to learn about the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan, Federal and State endangered species acts, Massachusetts and Federal Barrier Beach guidelines, endangered species management and protection
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 60lbs across varied and sandy terrain
- Be prepared to work outdoors with exposure to extreme weather conditions in secluded areas. Practice extreme care and safety precautions while on the job including following special safety precautions, training, and wear protective clothing such as coats, hats, sunglasses, boots, etc.
- Monitors will be required to find their own housing as well as reliable transportation to and from work. Use of personal vehicles may be required to access remote sections of the beach
- Monitors will be required to provide their own binoculars
- Complete Duxbury Beach ESP training following position acceptance
Special Requirements: Valid Driver’s License and ability to operate related program equipment and vehicles. Specific vision abilities required include close, medium, and distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus and distinguish colors and shapes. Visual demands include reading documents and routinely reviewing non-written materials such as instrumentation for analytical purposes. Auditory demands include communicating with others on a regular basis and distinguishing between different types of bird calls. Ability to use hands and fingers to calibrate and use field equipment such as binoculars and tablets.
How to Apply: The Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer. To apply, please fill out a job application by going to https://duxburybeach.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Your application will not be processed without completion/receipt of the items above. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will begin in mid-January. If you have any questions about the position or application process, please email email@example.com with “Shorebird Monitor 2023” in the subject line.