About the Organization: The Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation, owns approximately 4.5 miles of Duxbury Beach, a 7.5-mile long barrier beach that extends from Marshfield in the north to Gurnet Point and Saquish in the south. The Reservation’s mission is to protect the beach structure, preserve its ecological resources and maintain recreational access. Part of this responsibility is to maintain a Coastal Ecology Program on Duxbury Beach.
Nature of Work: The purpose of this position is to assist in the protection of the listed shorebird species Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus) and Least Tern (Sternula antillarum). Employee will perform biological field work for the Endangered Species Program, a subset of the Coastal Ecology Program. Assist with the daily collection of behavioral and location data for listed species. Collect data according to provided protocols on the following: predator tracking, avian community composition, vegetation surveys etc. Interact with the public to provide information and answer questions as necessary. Communicate beach rules and regulations to beachgoers in a polite and professional manner.
Responsibilities and Duties: The responsibilities and duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position.
Biological Field Work:
- Accomplish the wildlife and education objectives of the Endangered Species Program
- Nest searching and monitoring, including abundance and productivity of listed species
- Behavioral observations of pairs, broods, and chick nurseries
- Assist Monitors in locating plover broods and tern chicks. Perform functions related to the DBR Certificate of Inclusion under the MA Habitat Conservation Plan for Piping Plovers, including road closures, fencing management, and public outreach
- Data Collection and Communication:
- Assist in management of databases including abundance, productivity and behavioral data; create GIS/Google Earth maps of coastal resources
- Compile data for state plover, tern, and oystercatcher census forms and write summary reports for specific sites on results and management activities
- Submit daily updates via email, text message, or phone call to the Program Coordinator, other Duxbury Beach Reservation Staff, and Town of Duxbury staff with observations and recommendations, including a request for a face-to-face meeting if an issue needs to be resolved
- Communicate with Duxbury Beach Reservation staff, Town of Duxbury staff, and public regarding motor vehicle, pedestrian or dog closure areas on Duxbury Beach. Communicate issues to Town of Duxbury Beach Operations staff
Supervisory and Administrative Tasks:
- Assist in initial training of Shorebird Monitors (Monitors), collaborate with Monitors to ensure plover monitor coverage and supervision, assist the Coastal Ecology Program Coordinator and other Duxbury Beach Reservation staff in identifying vulnerable nesting sites and broods
- Attend meetings and trainings scheduled by the Program Coordinator
- Provide frequent performance related feedback, and conduct end of season performance evaluations
- Understand and abide by Duxbury Beach Rules & Regulations, the Massachusetts Habitat Conservation Plan for Piping Plover Certificate of Inclusion and the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan
- Carry out related duties as required
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
- Education & Experience: Applicants with a B.S. or B.A. or higher in wildlife biology/management or related field, or equivalent work experience, are strongly preferred; A minimum of one-year professional experience in avian monitoring or similar field
- Thorough understanding of Federal and State Endangered Species Acts, Massachusetts Barrier Beach guidelines and Federal Barrier Beach guidelines. Behavioral data collection and management skills, wildlife tracking and coastal wildlife management issues
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, subordinate employees, the public, and ability to carry out specific tasks as assigned by the Program Coordinator required
- An interest or willingness to learn about the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 60lbs across varied and sandy terrain
- Be prepared to work outdoors with exposure to extreme weather conditions in secluded areas. Practice extreme care and safety precautions while on the job including following special safety precautions, training, and wear protective clothing such as coats, hats, sunglasses, boots, etc.
- Field Technicians will be required to find their own housing as well as reliable transportation to and from work. Use of personal vehicles may be required to access remote sections of the beach.
- Field Technicians will be required to provide their own binoculars
Special Requirements: Valid Driver’s License and ability to operate related program equipment and vehicles. Specific vision abilities required include close, medium, and distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus and distinguish colors and shapes. Visual demands include reading documents and routinely reviewing non-written materials such as instrumentation for analytical purposes. Auditory demands include communicating with others on a regular basis and distinguishing between different types of bird calls. Ability to use hands and fingers to calibrate and use field equipment such as binoculars and tablets.
Supervision Received: Reports directly to the Lead Field Technician under the general supervision of the Duxbury Beach Reservation’s Coastal Ecology Program Coordinator. Required to communicate routinely with other DBR staff and Town of Duxbury Beach Operations staff.
How to Apply: Please fill out a job application, including a resume and cover letter (specifying the position you are applying for and dates of availability) by clicking https://duxburybeach.bamboohr.com/careers/25?source=aWQ9MjI%3D and selecting the "Apply for This Job" button. Your application will not be processed without completion/receipt of the items above. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will begin in January. If you have any questions about the position, please email careers @ duxburybeachreservation.org.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.