APPLY ONLINE ONLY AT: https://careers-audubon.icims.com/jobs/5207/seasonal-rooftop-seabird-field-technician/job
Audubon Florida seeks a Seasonal Rooftop Seabird Field Technician to support nesting season seabird conservation on rooftops throughout the Florida Panhandle. Rooftop nesting seabirds are primarily Least Terns but also including Black Skimmers, and Gull-billed Terns. The Rooftop Seabird Field Technician will work in a five county region of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, and Bay.
The Field Technician will help with rooftop colony conservation including fencing rooftops, finding and monitoring roof colonies, conducting emergency chick retrieval and assisting with volunteer coordination. This is a seasonal position, scheduled for 40 hours a week (including some holidays and weekends), April - August 2023 and will be based in the Panama City/Destin, Florida area.
$15.00 - $19.00 per hour based on experience
Under the guidance of the Panhandle Program Manager, Field Technician will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Survey the Panhandle’s historic rooftop nesting sites to determine whether they are active during the nesting season
- Engage with and support the owners of buildings with rooftop colonies
- Work with property managers to “chick proof” rooftops prior to the nesting season
- Organize volunteers to check the building sites of rooftop colonies to collect fallen chicks and return them to rooftops
- Respond to or coordinate volunteer response to calls regarding fallen chicks at rooftop colonies
- Responsible for timely data entry and reporting
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in ecology, biology or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with field work, as well as familiarity with the Florida Panhandle region.
- Knowledge of and experience identifying various seabird species.
- Must be comfortable working on rooftops at various building heights.
- Ability to safely drive long distances in assigned work vehicle.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to communicate clearly to various audiences.
- A detailed approach to work, one who possesses good judgment integrity with work products.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite required.
- Experience with or leading volunteer groups strongly preferred.
- A flexible approach to work; must have a valid driver's license and be willing to work some weekends and holidays.
- Comfort working in outside, variable conditions, such as rooftops.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs. also necessary.
The National Audubon Society is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
The National Audubon Society endeavors to keep our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Accommodations@audubon.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated prior to their start of employment unless they are pre-qualified by HR for exemption.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.