The Malheur Field Assistant position includes diverse opportunities for gaining and using a suite of
biological, conservation, and outreach skills. This position reports to our Eastern Oregon Conservation
Manager and will be based in Harney County. The ideal candidate will be able to identify eastern Oregon birds by sight
and by ear.
While one doesn't need to be a student to apply, students are encouraged to apply. This position meets the internship requirements for the PSM program at OSU and there is potential for a M.S. student to develop a thesis project associated with the work being done.
Job duties include:
- Biological Surveys: This position is responsible for completing all landbird point counts at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. Additional work may include waterfowl surveys, duck banding, shorebird surveys, sandhill crane pair counts, marsh bird surveys, and will assist with an autonomous recording unit study in the Harney Basin.
- Stewardship Work Parties: Work with the Eastern Oregon Conservation Manager to lead Community Science Weekends.
- Outreach: Assist with community outreach, including Malheur After Dark and bird outings.
- Conservation Policy: Opportunity to attend collaborative meetings with Portland Audubon staff, in order to gain experience with collaborative policy work.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have a valid Drivers License;
- Ability to identify birds by sight and by ear;
- Ability to hike up to 8 miles, through flood-irrigated meadows;
- Willingness to work independently in a remote area;
- Demonstrated initiative engaging and working with people from diverse backgrounds with a particular focus on engaging rural communities on conservation initiatives;
- Demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Experience working with and leading volunteers is strongly preferred
For more information contact Teresa Wicks at email@example.com. To apply: https://audubonportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Seasonal-Malheur-Field-Assistant_2023.pdf
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.