The mission of Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory (HRBO) is to protect birds of prey and other migratory birds in the western Lake Superior region through research, education, and stewardship. Education at HRBO is designed to compliment and fulfill this mission with programs about birds and their environment, while building awareness and appreciation for bird conservation.
HRBO is seeking 1 full-time seasonal naturalist and 1 part-time seasonal naturalist for the fall 2021 season for 9 weeks August 30-October 31. Applications will be accepted until filled (note: early applications are encouraged and preferred by Friday, May 14, 2021).
*Please note that while we are hopeful to fulfill fall seasonal positions as normal, circumstances are subject to change due to COVID-19. Candidates will be made aware of changes, as soon as possible.
Teaching formal environmental education programs to groups (school, private and the general public)
Teaching informal interpretive programs via education tables and kid’s cart
Providing interpretation and answering questions about raptor identification, natural history of birds, and the fall migration at Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve
Conducting live bird education demonstrations
Assisting managers with visitor relations, merchandise sales, volunteers, & fundraising activities/events
· Bachelor’s degree required for full-time position (Education or Environmental Education preferred).
· Demonstrated teaching experience (2+ years preferred)
· Knowledge of birds, especially raptors preferred
· Driver’s license and personal vehicle required
· Experience in working and teaching outside in many weather conditions
· Demonstrated animal-handling experience (preferably birds)
Essential Personal Characteristics
· Enthusiastic and passionate about teaching others
· Communicates respectfully and effectively with teachers, students, staff, volunteers, & visitors of all ages
· Flexibility in work hours on weekends and possibly some evenings
· Ability to work independently
Compensation: Hourly pay at $12/hour; lodging provided, if needed and available
If you wish to apply for the HRBO Seasonal Naturalist position, please submit your resume (required & email preferred) and cover letter to: Janelle Long (firstname.lastname@example.org), Executive Director, and Margie Menzies (email@example.com, Education Director preferably by Friday, May 14, 2021. By mail: HRBO, P.O. Box 3006, Duluth, MN 55803. Note: Posting will remain open to apply to until filled.
Please include in your resume or cover letter:
1. Contact info for three references (both email & phone preferred)
2. If applicable, transcripts showing courses and/or certifications and/or training relevant to the position
Visit our website at www.hawkridge.org or call (218) 428-6209 with questions.