To safely execute and help oversee Sharon Audubon Center’s Summer Nature Programs for children in K-6th grade. Each Summer Camp Counselor will be needed approximately 17 weeks over the course of the spring and summer Monday through Friday, for 7-8 hours per day. For the first 7 weeks, counselors may work a Tuesday-Saturday, 9-5 schedule. Compensation is $21/hour, plus housing.
· Assisting with and teaching various education programs both on-site and as outreach for groups such as school students, scouts, general public, etc., while following all Audubon, OEC, and CDC guidelines, as described below.
· Assisting with greeting visitors, helping with purchases in the Nature Store, and other aspects of running a nature center.
· Working on writing summer camp curriculum, preparing materials needed for lessons, creating craft templates, and general preparation for the summer camp season.
· Assist with the training of remaining seasonal camp staff once onboarded, and familiarizing them with summer camp procedures, curriculum, and protocols.
· Acting as assistant Camp Director and overseeing regular day to day camp programs, resolving any minor daily issues and running camp debriefs with camp staff.
· Setting up and cleaning up each day’s camp activities, planning and executing each weeklong camp session for their individual small group of campers, including teaching discovery hikes, pond explorations, live animal programs, nature crafts and games, and making sure other camp staff are prepared for each day as well.
· Maintain the safety of all campers during their time at Audubon Camp.
· Maintain positive working relationships with summer campers and their parents and/or guardians, as well as SAC full time and seasonal staff, and volunteers.
· Special attention is to be taken for following all Audubon, OEC and CDC guidelines for COVID-19 safety
· Helping with other aspects of a nature center, such as contacting camp parents by phone or email, photocopying, or more.
· Use of basic office equipment may be used such as a photocopier, fax machine, telephones, digital camera and simple outdoor recreational equipment, such as pond nets, compasses, etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Completion of at least two years of college coursework in environmental or life sciences is preferred.
· Some teaching experience and/or curriculum development is necessary, and environmental education experience preferred. Summer camp leadership experience also preferred.
· Must be confident in leading a group and initiating activities, and be aware of COVID-19 guidelines and SAC safety procedures and the ability to enforce those safety precautions.
· Ability to work independently and in a team setting
· Comfortable and confident in overseeing seasonal camp staff and resolving minor issues that may arise among seasonal staff or campers/parents.
· Strong work ethic, natural history background, self-motivation, on-going enthusiasm, attention to detail, commitment, flexibility, ability to work with sound judgment under pressure in changing situations, a desire to learn, excellent time management, and the ability to work well with others and with children.
· Counselors must show respect for others of all ages, race, gender, etc., as well as respect for nature and the outdoors
· Enthusiastic about working, even in unfavorable weather conditions, pleasant, reliable and able to carry out simple assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
· Must have a ride to and from the Audubon Center each day for work.
· Must have the ability to walk all major trails of the Sharon Audubon Center and on uneven terrain
· Be able to run, sit, stand, grasp, lift, carry, walk, push, reach, climb and pull for short and extended periods of time.
· Able to work outdoors in the heat of summer.
· Must have a valid driver’s license
Applications and cover letters must be submitted online at https://careers-audubon.icims.com/jobs/5259/seasonal-educator-summer-camp-counselor/job No mailed, emailed, or faxed applications will be accepted. Deadline April 1st.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.