Salary: $20 - $21 hourly, depending on experience. Some overtime hours will be required. In addition to salary, reimbursement for project-related travel, camping, and lodging will be provided.
Duration: ~ 6 months (seasonal)
Benefits: Not eligible
Start Date: On or around April 1, 2022
Purpose: The crew leader will manage 5-7 seasonal technicians, communicate with private landowners, coordinate field logistics, and participate in research activities to determine basic population estimates of breeding birds in Colorado.
About the Organization:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is a 501-c(3) non-profit that is headquartered at the Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park with a satellite office in Fort Collins and fieldwork outposts in the Great Plains Region. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of Science, Education and Stewardship.
Project/Position Overview: The Integrated Monitoring in Bird Conservation Regions (IMBCR) program provides reliable information on bird populations to guide conservation and management decisions utilizing a statistically rigorous design based on probabilistic sampling, and a broad network of partners that support the program across public and private lands. The IMBCR program, coordinated by Bird Conservancy, is the second largest breeding bird monitoring program in North America and currently includes surveys in 16 Western states.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinate IMBCR field work within Colorado including: helping hire Avian Technicians, assigning surveys and equipment, coordinating training, managing the field crew, and communicating with the Avian Ecologist
· Coordinate National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) field work in Colorado
· Contact private landowners and determine access for survey locations
· Collect data following established protocols
· Proof Colorado IMBCR and NEON data using established protocols and assist in the completion of other deliverables for the IMBCR program
· Support Avian Ecologist with COVID-19 related protocol
· Serve as the primary contact for landowners and local project partners
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted):
· At least one season managing a field crew preferred
· At least one season conducting IMBCR point counts preferred
· First aid certification preferred
· Demonstrated experience with multi species point counts
· One full year experience in ecological fieldwork
· Ability to identify avian species of Colorado by sight and sound
· Ability to effectively supervise seasonal personnel
· Demonstrated experience with private landowner communication
· Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to maintain a positive disposition in challenging conditions
· Ability to travel to multiple locations in a single day
· Ability to camp and live out of a vehicle for ~ 3 months
· Capable of driving on rough roads, dealing with mud, navigating around cattle and barbed-wire fencing
· Experience camping, long-distance hiking, and navigating in the backcountry
· Driver’s license, proof of insurance, and experience driving 4WD vehicles
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High-level stress
· Work will begin before dawn, 5-6 days a week, sometimes in extreme weather conditions
· Able to work independently in remote locations where hazardous wildlife and conditions may be present
· Some overnight solo backpacking trips may be required
· May include lifting up to forty (40) pounds of project gear on a frequent basis. Proper lifting techniques required.
· Able to stand, walk and hike in difficult terrain for extended periods of time outside in any weather carrying a forty (40) pound pack
· Work in standard office setting, following COVID-19 safety requirements, with considerable sitting, standing and viewing of computer
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
· Standard field equipment (e.g. GPS unit, compass, first aid kit, binoculars, rangefinder)
· 4-wheel drive vehicle
· Standard camping equipment (e.g. tent, backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camp stove).
Standard office equipment (e.g. laptop, printers); PC with MS Office software applications.
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies will provide reimbursement for work related lodging fees including camping fees and hotel fees. Most nights will involve dispersed camping on public lands.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Bird Conservancy is committed to protecting and enhancing the welfare of its employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a condition of employment, all newly hired employees must provide to Bird Conservancy’s human resources representative proof of full vaccination at employment start date. In addition, Bird Conservancy may require employees to be tested for COVID-19 under certain conditions, including but not limited to, exposure to a person infected with the virus, experience of COVID-19 symptoms or travel outside of the assigned work area. All employees must follow Bird Conservancy’s other safety protocols for COVID-19, which are based on current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines. Any proof of vaccination or test results submitted to Bird Conservancy will remain confidential.
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for 3 references in ONE document to Matthew.McLaren@birdconservancy.org with “Last Name_First Name_IMBCR Seasonal Crew Leader” in the subject line and document file name. In the email please include where you saw the job posting announcement. Applications will be accepted until position filled.