The City of Portland, Bureau of Environmental Services, Science Integration Division is hiring.
Job Title: Seasonal Avian Biologist
Job Type: Seasonal Temporary – 25-40 hours/week
Start Date: Early April 2019
Location: Portland, Oregon
Job posting closing: March 19, 2019, 5:00 pm
Compensation range: $24/hour
The City of Portland’s Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) is seeking an experienced avian biologist to lead avian surveys in support of BES projects and programs. A primary task is to complete point count surveys for the Portland Area Watershed Assessment and Monitoring Program. Other assignments include scouting and documenting survey locations, nesting bird assessments, other wildlife surveys, data entry, data proofing, data management, data analysis, reporting and other related tasks.
Position is full time 40 hours per week April through June 2019 and may be extended for 900 additional hours July 2019 to June 2020.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Ability to identify all breeding birds of Portland region by sight and sound and estimate distance to individual birds
· Three years’ experience conducting Point Count surveys
· Knowledge of life histories of Pacific NW avifauna, including nesting behavior and phenology
• Proficiency with ESRI ArcMap GIS, MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Access
• Strong organizational skills; ability to take initiative and work independently
• Must be able and willing to work in outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and traverse steep, uneven terrain off trail
• Must be available during early morning hours to conduct point surveys
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Driver’s License required
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
• R statistical software experience
• Technical writing experience such as project reports, literature reviews, and white papers
• Experience with avian nest searching, especially for passerines
• Experience with, and knowledge of, NW mammals, especially semi-aquatic species
• Experience managing GIS data and tabular data (e.g. MS Excel)
Applicants must submit a cover letter and professional resume electronically and should be no more than a total of four (4) pages combined.
• Your cover letter should describe your education, training and/or experience relevant to the job description and skills needed sections above.
• Your resume should support the details described in your cover letter.
• If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, attach copy of your DD214 / DD215 and /or Veteran’s Administration Letter stating your disability along with your cover letter and resume.
Send your cover letter and resume electronically to:
Please use the following subject line in your email transmission: “Seasonal Avian Position”
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm Monday, March 19, 2019.
Questions or additional information contact: