Seasonal Field Ornithologist
Corvus Ecological Consulting, LLC
Corvus Ecological Consulting is seeking a qualified field biologists for a project looking at the interaction between Common Ravens and desert tortoise in Joshua Tree National Park. All applicants should have an interest and basic knowledge of avian communities with particular emphasis on raptors and Common Ravens. Duration of employment will be from approximately March 21 to June 2, 2023. Applicant review will begin immediately.
Work is full time up to 10 hours per day Monday through Friday. Applicant will be part of a team but will also be required to work alone so good communication skills are essential. Field workers will be required to camp (often alone) in remote portions of the study area. Workers may be asked to perform a variety of tasks on various projects, so flexibility is necessary. Work will include driving over rough unmaintained roads, hiking in rough terrain, and dealing with temperature extremes.
We seek applicants with the following qualifications:
• Prior avian field experience and demonstrable birding skills
• Prior camping experience and possession of personal camping equipment
• Minimum of B.S. in Biology and at least 2 seasons of paid experience in field ornithology (field experience as part of a college course or volunteer experience not counted as part of the 2 years)
• Must be physically fit with the ability to hike 10-12 miles per day over steep and rocky terrain
• Ability to work independently at remote field sites
• Skill and experience with topographic maps, GPS units, and compass.
• Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and experience driving 4WD vehicles.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Communication skills, the ability to work well with others, and a healthy dose of common sense are paramount for a successful candidate
• Genuine interest in birds and plants and a desire to collect quality data in a timely manner.
• Data collection is performed on a smart phone or other handheld device, so good eyesight and an ability to use this technology is crucial to success.
• Tech savvy
• You must be available to start in mid-March. No exceptions.
The following qualifications are preferred, but not required:
• Prior field experience with desert tortoise
• Technical rock-climbing experience
• Experience with remote game cameras
• Prior experience in the Mojave Desert of Southern California or Nevada
• Advanced birding skills
• Personal field equipment such as gps units, binoculars, spotting scopes, laptop computer and ipod Touch or smartphone (Apple or Android)
• Familiarity with Garmin’s “Basecamp” software
• Experience with field data collection using Pendragon FormsVI or other handheld data collection systems
• Wilderness First Aid or First Responder training
Hourly compensation $30/ hr (+ overtime according to CA state law = $45/hr), depending on experience, plus a $45 per diem stipend. Camping only, no lodging is provided. You must provide all your own camping gear. It is preferred for candidates to have a reliable 4WD vehicle of their own. In this case, a fuel card will be provided as well as a wear and tear stipend (reimbursed expenses for use of a personal vehicle at $60/day). Otherwise, a vehicle will be provided.
To apply please send a cover letter, résumé, and list of 3 references with phone numbers and email addresses to email@example.com. In the subject line, indicate that you are interested in the raven project position. No phone calls please. References, cover letter and résumé should specifically address the qualifications outlined in this announcement and the candidate’s experience with any or all of them. The preferred method of attachment is as a single document or a zip file of separate documents. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled or until March 17th 2023, whichever comes first.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.