Job description: Three field technicians are needed from May 1–July 31, 2020 to monitor abundance and movements of Royal Terns, Sandwich Terns, Common Terns, Gull-billed Terns, Black Skimmers, and Laughing Gulls nesting near Hampton, VA. Housing will be provided in Hampton or Norfolk, VA and a work vehicle will be provided for the duration of the project. This project is one of multiple seabird and shorebird projects based at Virginia Tech. Please see our program website (https://www.vtshorebirds.org) for more information!
Responsibilities: This is a multifaceted project and technicians will assist with the following:
1) Performing counts, behavioral samples, and resighting of uniquely marked terns, skimmers, and gulls nesting near Hampton, VA.
2) General maintenance of seabird decoys, call-backs, and game cameras.
3) Traveling throughout the mid-Atlantic coast to resight previously marked terns, skimmers, and gulls.
4) Trapping, banding, and attaching satellite tags to adult Royal Tern adults, and capturing and banding near-fledged Royal Tern chicks.
5) Safely trailering and operating a 19–24 ft boat.
6) Data collection, entry, and proofing.
7) There may also be the potential to assist with Laughing Gull adult and chick banding, as well as Piping Plover banding.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Wildlife Science, Biology, Environmental Science, or a related field. Experience with boats, avian capture methods and handling techniques, bird banding, resighting, and seabird identification are preferred but training will be provided. Resighting color bands is an essential job function and therefore candidates should be able to distinguish colors at a distance. Daily boat travel is also an essential job function and candidates must be comfortable with regular use of boats in coastal waters. Candidates must be flexible, able to work as part of a team, and keep a positive attitude through long days (up to 12 hours/day, 6 days/week) in a unique field environment. In addition, candidates will have to pass a background check.
Salary: $520/week + housing
Please send a CV, including contact information for three references (in ONE PDF document, formatted as Last Name_First Name_seabird tech) to Kelsi Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org. The positions will remain open until filled.