Job Category: Temporary/Seasonal Positions
Agency: Oregon State University, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
Salary: $12.50 per hour + housing + work vehicle
Start Date: 3/25/15
Last Date to Apply: 2/1/19
Description: An enthusiastic and hard-working technician is needed from March 25 through the first week August, with the potential for extension, to assist a MS student with research on the demography of greater sage-grouse translocated to Clear Lake National Wildlife Refuge. Technician will perform a variety of duties across the season, such as sage-grouse trapping, VHF telemetry, nest monitoring, brood monitoring, mortality investigations, vegetation sampling, and data entry. Applicants must have excellent attention to detail and be comfortable collecting data independently in a remote field setting with limited cell service. Applicants should also be able to maintain a positive attitude while working long days in rain, snow, mud, and temperatures ranging from 0-95 degrees F. A valid driver’s license and experience driving off-road in both 4x4 trucks and ATVs is required. This is a full-time position requiring at least 40 hours a week with occasional work during nights and early mornings. Housing at a refuge bunkhouse will be provided, but applicants must be willing to spend the work week (3 nights on average) in a camper in a remote field setting.
· Bachelor’s degree in wildlife science, biology, or related field.
· Previous field research experience
· Maintain a positive attitude while working in challenging weather conditions
· Flexibility in work schedule and duties
· Ability to work alone in remote settings
· Driving 4x4 vehicles on unpaved roads and in inclement weather
· Physically fit, with the ability to lift 50lbs and walk up to 10 miles per day
· Interest in sage-grouse habitat use and demography
· Navigation experience using GPS, map, and compass
· Experience with radio telemetry
· Experience sampling vegetation communities
· Experience living in close quarters in remote field conditions for extended lengths of time
To apply, send a cover letter describing your qualifications, CV/resume, and contact information for three references in a single document to Chelsea Sink at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sage-grouse Translocation Technician” in the subject line before the closing date on February 1st.