Position: Sage-Grouse Research Technician
Project Title: Greater sage-grouse response to broad scale wildfire in southeastern Oregon.
Job Description: We are looking for two enthusiastic and hardworking individuals to assist in a collaborative applied research project on greater sage-grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus) in the Trout Creek Mountains of southeastern Oregon. In association with the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at Oregon State University (OSU), Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the Bureau of Land Management, this work focuses on investigating the demographic response of sage-grouse occurring within the area of the Holloway fire, which burned >180,000 ha of sage-grouse habitat in August, 2012. This is a full-time seasonal position hired through Blue Sun Temp Agency, with a starting date of March 15, 2021 and an ending date of August 31, 2021. This job requires driving OSU owned vehicles on primitive desert roads and navigating difficult terrain on foot to locate nest sites, broods, and mortalities using a handheld GPS unit. The technician(s) must be able to work under little supervision and conduct data collection independently in an isolated environment following an established sampling protocol. Orienteering skills, including the use of maps, compass, and handheld GPS units are essential. The work is physically strenuous and involves working and hiking in the rain, snow, heat, and on rocky, broken, terrain. The employee should be comfortable performing these duties alone in a remote environment. All duties must be performed with a high degree of quality, uniformity, and timeliness. Housing will be provided. This is a full time appointment which requires a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Conduct sage-grouse nest searches, and identification of nesting outcomes using handheld GPS units and UHF/VHF telemetry
- Conduct sage-grouse brood surveys using handheld GPS units and UHF/VHF telemetry
- Assist with sage-grouse capture
- Data entry
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, but within a supervised schedule
- Ability to work in challenging weather conditions and calmly handle difficult situations (e.g. flat tires, broken UTV’s, stuck vehicles)
- Ability to drive off-paved roads 4x4 truck and UTVs
- Ability to hike steep mountains and drive on rocky, muddy roads
- Physically fit (able to lift 50 lbs.), hardworking and willing to work required hours and duties
Desired Qualifications: Experience with the following:
- Independence and ability to ask questions when necessary
- Hand held GPS units, and map and compass skills
- Sagebrush vegetation community sampling
- Interest in sage-grouse or general avian life history, demographics, and habitat use
- Living in remote field conditions for extended lengths of time
Salary: $12.50- $15/hr DOE.
Dates: March 15, 2021 through August 15, 2021.
Location: Fields, Oregon
Housing: Housing provided
Transportation: OSU motor pool vehicle will be provided
If interested, please send resume and references via email (labeled “sage-grouse tech”) to Dr. Lizz Schuyler (Elizabeth.Schuyler@oregonstate.edu) and Dr. Christian Hagen (Chistian.Hagen@oregonstate.edu). This position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate(s) is found.