World Bird Sanctuary is a non-profit organization outside of St. Louis, MO that is committed to education, conservation, and the rehabilitation of injured raptors from the surrounding area. Our hospital takes in over 500 wild patients each year as well as provides medical care to the 200+ permanent residents that call WBS home. Our hospital employs a full time veterinarian and performs surgeries and other advanced medical care in house.
We offer 2 lengths of rehabilitation internships, 3 month and 6 month. Our 3 month internship is designed for anyone interested in learning skills related to raptor medicine and rehabilitation, regardless of what career they are pursuing in the long run. 3 month interns will develop a strong foundation of medical knowledge but may not get as much practice in the more advanced medical skills as our 6 month interns do. Our 6 month internship is tailored for those actively pursuing a career in wildlife rehabilitation or veterinary medicine and includes additional time to practice advanced skills
Both internships are full time and work weeks may either be 5 8 hour days or 4 10 hour days depending on patient load and scheduling needs. Free, on-site housing and utilities are provided for both length internship. The 6 month internship also includes a monthly living stipend. Rolling start dates are available year round for both length internships. In general, positions are filled 3 months prior to start date and applications should be turned in before that time. Applications submitted after that point will still be considered if any openings are still available.
The internship is designed to train the applicant and give hands on experience in all aspects of raptor rehabilitation from husbandry to assisting with surgery. Skills taught include but are not limited to:
● Diet Prep
● Enclosure Cleaning
● Hospital Maintenance
● Raptor Catching & Restraint
● Tube Feeding
● Hand Feeding
● Multiple Routes of Medicating
● Administering Fluids
● Running Basic Bloodwork
● Making and Reading Fecal Slides
● Drawing Blood
● Physical Therapy
● Wound Cleaning
● Bandaging & Fracture Management
● Examining New Patients
● Taking & Reading Radiographs
● Assisting with Surgical Procedures
● In addition to hands on experience, interns will have the opportunity to participate in article discussions and attend presentations from our staff veterinarian.
○ Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
○ Must be able to work long hours on feet and be capable of bending, lifting, and
carrying heavy objects.
○ Must be willing to work on some weekends, evenings, and holidays.
○ Must be 18 or older.
○ Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
○ Must be able to work independently and take initiative on daily tasks.
○ Must possess a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
○ Must possess a valid US driver’s license.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, 3 references, start month, and internship length that you are applying for to email@example.com