World Bird Sanctuary is a non-profit organization just outside of St. Louis, MO. WBS is dedicated to education, conservation, and the rehabilitation of raptors from the surrounding area. WBS offers an internship for those specifically interested in the rehabilitation aspect of our mission. Our Rehabilitation Internship is open for anyone to apply for, but is tailored specifically toward training those who are pursuing a career in wildlife rehabilitation or medicine and preference will be given to those applicants. The Rehabilitation Internship is a 6 month, 40+ hour/week commitment and includes free onsite housing/utilities and a monthly living stipend. Rotating start months are available throughout the year. Applications are due 2 months prior to the desired start date.
The internship is designed to train the applicant and give hands on experience in all aspects of raptor
rehabilitation from husbandry to assisting with surgery. Skills taught include but are not limited to:
● Diet Prep
● Enclosure Cleaning
● Hospital Maintenance
● Raptor Catching & Restraint
● Tube Feeding
● Hand Feeding
● Multiple Routes of Medicating
● Administering Fluids
● Running Basic Bloodwork
● Making and Reading Fecal Slides
● Drawing Blood
● Physical Therapy
● Wound Cleaning
● Bandaging & Fracture Management
● Examining New Patients
● Taking & Reading Radiographs
● Assisting with Surgical Procedures
● In addition to hands on experience, interns will have the opportunity to participate in article discussions and attend presentations from our staff veterinarian. If interested, the intern will also have the opportunity to learn avian handling and training techniques from our naturalist staff.
○ Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
○ Must be able to work long hours on feet and be capable of bending, lifting, and
carrying heavy objects.
○ Must be willing to work on some weekends, evenings, and holidays.
○ Must be 18 or older.
○ Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
○ Must be able to work independently and take initiative on daily tasks.
○ Must possess a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
○ Must possess a valid driver’s license.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, 3 references, and start month that you are applying for to firstname.lastname@example.org